1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drains volt

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by uniquechev, Jan 21, 2012.

1. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

Hey guysI have developed a major problem that I nor shops can figure out just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with there plow truck? I'm running a MM1 on a 99 chevy silverado and i know the volts gage will drop down cause of the major draw but lately when the plow angles or goes up the lights dim to almost off etc with the accessories . I had put a new high output alternator in the truck last yr and had it serviced in the spring. took the truck there yesterday and they say its tested ok. any serious idea's as to a solution ??? got another storm rolling in tomorrow morning and would like to try and fix this major issue before it starts. Thanks guys HAPPY PLOWING !!!! ussmileyflag
  2. RichieK

RichieK Junior Member

Sorry I missed the duplicate post one line below this one.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

So the batteries checked out ok?
  4. awgolasplowing

awgolasplowing Member

You should check you cables and connections. I'm ase master certified, ford certified and 4 yrs of college grad all in automotive so you know I'm not just talking out my A$$:cool:. I use my multimeter and do a voltage drop test on the alt to battery and the battery to the plow. also a simple wiggle test on the cables may reveal the problem. remember just cause the insulation looks good does not mean its OK inside, also I just ran into an issue with my Curtis where the pins had high resistance and causing my plow to work slow but draw lots of amps.:mechanic: