1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drains power sometimes killing the truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by br2, Jan 12, 2011.

1. br2

br2 Junior Member

Just got a RT3 Boss Strait blade it has been working great for the last 2 months now it drains battery when lifting and sometimes killing the truck. If I bump it up several times is seems not to use as much power. The truck will start right back up. Altinator shows 14 VDC charging. I have had Meyer e 47 for the past 13 years. I know alot about Meyer but not Boss. Any ideas? I looked through old posts but I didn't find any problem like this. Thanks for any help.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Check your battery connections and plow connections under the pump cover. Does it do it when your running the truck and plowing? I am willing to bet you have a loose battery connection somewhere. Also just for grins check the trucks frame ground too. Check that out and get back to us.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. br2

br2 Junior Member

It only does it when I am using the plow. I can drive the truck allover with no problem. Thanks For the help

4. br2

br2 Junior Member

If I rev the truck or use the plow at a faster idol it seem to work better and not drain the power.

5. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

You NEED a Dual Battery For plows thats why you get the snow prep package

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

It doesn't take much for a loose connection. Just throw a wrench on them and double check. Is the plow new or used? I would double check under the pump cover being new or used eitherway. If all is tight I would have your alt and battery checked out next. Yes it will help with the truck running at higher rpms. The alt is spinning faster creating more juice.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bad battery or poor plow cable connection for sure. Thumbs Up

8. br2

br2 Junior Member

thanks I'll check that out tomorrow

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Happened to me before, I brought it to autozone and the guy could take the positive cable and move it with out any trouble. I never even thought about that until he pointed it out to me. After that I didn't have a issue.

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

What make/engine?

11. br2

br2 Junior Member

Thanks for all the help. I cleaned the ground cables and it seemed to work better for a couple drives then it started acting up again.. I am going to run an extra ground cable from the bettery to the frame tomorrow . Hopefully that will thake care of it.
    It is a Chevrolet 2500 with a 350 motor

:mechanic:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hope that's not where your plow ground is located.

13. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

Common problem...heater fan down radio off it all helps..mine does the same in dark with lites on..daytime no prob.