1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drafting salt badly over truck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CK82, Nov 27, 2011.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Guys,

Does any one have this issue. I run a Western on my 06 GMC 2500, and a Blizzard Speedwing on my 09 GMC 2500. With the plow on it drafts any liquid from the pavement all over the truck. So badly that I use nearly a resivoir full of windshield washer fluid each snow event.

Please help with any information.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You running the plow straight or at an angle?

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

put a deflector on it?

4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Might have to slow down when your plowing.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

A snow deflecter will help greatly.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Put rain X or similar product on your windsheild. It won't bother you as much.

7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 06 Chevy 2500hd. Even with the plow angled at high speed my black truck turns grey with salt. The side windows get real bad. I've tried rain-x and lowering the plow helps some, but not much. Nature of the beast is guess.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I had that problemmon my 99 when I had the 9' fisher on it with the foil. Sidewindows would get so bad I kept a squeegee & bucket in my garage to clean between events. I don't believe we ever figured it out, I switched the plow out for a EZ-V, to speed things up, problem with that & running warm went away.

9. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have tried all angles, as well as high and low. I do have a deflector, its extremely weird why this happens. It does exactly as 7_below stated, "It turns gray with road salt". The truck and windows have thick coating by the end of a plow event. Its only when traveling above 20mph i'd say. It really sucks, makes it very hard to see and makes my truck looking like terrible!

Switching to a wideout this year, maybe its the dam plow (8.5' Pro plus).

10. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I've been in the same boat as everyone, I run a 8'6" and it doesnt matter which way I angle the blade. My truck always gets greyed out with salt. I look forward to it after each event, tells the neighbors Ive been out!

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 00 GMC dump did this to the point where it wasn't safe to drive when you ran out of washer fluid. Ours had a 9ft Fisher, a snow deflector and it still was a problem. It also had bug deflector, wheel flares and mud flaps but none of it helped.....I am so glad we sold it! Our Fords have no issues with this, IDK maybe just the slope of the hood.

12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

My 1997 Ford with a Diamond with a deflector had the problem. Fords aren't immune.

13. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I have the '01 GMC 2500 with a 7 1/2 Curtis and Buyers wings. I can see the spray come off the front tires and go forward to the plow, then all over the truck. The tires are 245/75-16 so they aren't outside the fenders.

I have to buy washer fluid by the case, and carry a roll of paper towels in the truck in winter. The side windows and side mirrors are always covered.

14. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

IF a draft is pulling spray from the front tires forward to the plow then over the truck I think a set of mud flaps in front of the wheels and or a full width flap under the front bumper to break up the air flow forward.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Just accept it as the nature of what we do. I carry a few extra gallons of washer fluid with me so that isn't an issue. Got the vent visors on my truck so the side windows aren't bad at all. And I got an 8 ft I carry angled, got mud flaps, etc. If you don't want your truck to get dirty, then you are in the wrong line of work!!!

16. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

x2 on that! I'm more concerned about running out of washer fluid than gas. I've ran out twice and that sucked! :mad:

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

get use to it Its part of Snow plowing I have Vplow i still get some I wash my stuff after every event