1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow don't work...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by procut, Feb 4, 2011.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

Ten year old Unimount, was plowing with it yesterday, was working perfect. Drove into a pile of snow, and all of the sudden, it wouldn't raise, or angle. The controller powers up, but when you move the joy stick, nothing happens, no click, no straining from the pump or motor, nothing.

The stranges thing is, the parking lights on the tower are stuck on and the right side turn signal on the truck is on as well, the green arrow on the dash is on solid as well.

This one really has be baffled, any ideas??? Thanks!

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check the wire harness going to the plow and see if the wire harness was pinched while stacking snow. inspect the 9 pin plug for dirt or green corrosion. the indicator on the dash is telling you a bulb is out. a gm truck i assume? unplug the plow and listen for the relays clicking when you plug back in.

take a test light and see if the solenoid is getting power from the control. clip the test lead on the black orange wire on the solenoid and test the other small wire for power when the control is operated.

next jump the solenoid and see if the motor will run. this could go all night. check the list above and report back.

3. fozzy

fozzy Member

That sounds like a ground issue my old unimount did that some times and it was the gound cable at the pump

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Let see

A) slammed into snow that was full of ice and water
    B) truck jump and so did the plow..

So what do we have

A) harness problem
    B) ground
    C) both

Umm

I pick
    A) First

Like No lead mention, check the grill plugs to make sure they are making good contact.. Slamming the pile that hard might of pinch the harness either in the connectors, or in the grill area (truck frame cutting into the harness behind the grill..Also check the black/orange wire on the plow to make sure it did break loose.. I would also check the truck frame to make sure you didn't damage nothing..

Then I would try "B" next...

5. procut

procut Senior Member

Harness looks good, all nine pins are intact and realitivly clean. Relay clicks when plow is unplugged and you move the controll.

The motor runs when the solenoid is jumped.

Truck is an '01 Ram, the one in my avatar actually, thanks for the help thus far!

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Both relays clicking or just "one" relay clicks??