1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow don't move!!!!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LJC Lawncare, Jan 2, 2009.

1. LJC Lawncare

LJC Lawncare Junior Member

When I went leave for work this morning, my western plow wanted to stay home b/c it wouldn't lift. It would only make the noise as if it was lifting but it wasn't. It wouldn't turn left or right either. As I struggled with a jack to get it up in the air for about a 1/2 hour so I could chain it, it decided to work. I just was plowing with it on New years eve and it was just fine. But it got very cold on new years ( 5 degree's) and I haven't started the truck until today. There is ATF in it right now, but I'm thinking of switching to hydraulic fluid. what do I do?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

im by far not an expert but i have been tolld by a bunch of ppl thats you should only use western hydrolic fluid ( the blue stuff) and not atf,,,why i dont know,,,but thats what i hear...

3. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

why struggle with it....drive into a pile get out and rehook chain.....:jester:

4. LJC Lawncare

We have no piles. I Just drove into our ditch.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you have ice. Motor runs? When you jacked up plow you may broke enough ice free from the screen. Check fluid is it milky?

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

The Blue Hydrolic fluid wont mix with moisture as easy and slush up like ATF

7. LJC Lawncare

I went to car quest yesterday and bought some Western hydraulic fluid @ $12.99 a quart. That is what everybody says I should be using not ATF. Also my Wiper ring is warn and I think that water may be getting into the mix. At the beginning of the season the ATF fluid was bright red, but now it is a milky grayish color. So today I'm going to bring it in the garage and change out the fluid.

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

YUP, you were froze up.

To keep from having to spend another $25 on fluid and agravation get the packing nut on the lift cylinder changed, all it will do is keep sucking in moisture and get enough in there and the western fluid will freeze up also.