1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow dollies

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rob Abner, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

Just curious how many of you guys have bought plow dollies?
    I know there are alot of different ones available, but for the money I just bought a movers dolly at Lowes for 30.00 and it works great put the blade on one edge and lay a board across the other end to prop your A-frame at the proper height.

Thought this might help save everyone a few bucks.

2. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I built my own. Used some nice casters that I had laying around. I imagine they would have cost me around $50-$70 if I went out and bought them. I can see how a dolly would be worth buying, but if you have the material laying around, they are easy to build.
    I made mine so that it is the perfect height so it rolls right to the truck perfectly.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have a set of plow dollies, and i dont know how i did without them. I store the plow in a heated warehouse, so its great to be able to push the plow with one hand into a corner or tight space. I paid the $70 or so for the pushers especially made for plows. i did buy a few dollies like you are talking about to put my leaf box on, cause i store that there as well. easy to push around now. i guess if you have time or creativity, ive seen some pretty cool things. i especially like the dollies somebody posted made from plow shoes. Ive got six shoes sitting doing nothing. i wish i had thought of that idea.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i used my plow shoes.i got wheels from northern tool that hold 350 lbs drilled some holes and bolted them on the shoes. i also bought a 3 wheel dolly from home depot online for 15.00 each it holds up to 400lbs each.i have the ultra mounts so the 12 inch 3 wheel dolly from home depot works perfect so all together i spent 50.00.i seen plow dollies going from 90 to 450

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Driving down the road one day I saw the bottom of a grocery store shopping cart sitting in the gutter--not the basket part, just the frame with the wheels on it. I cut a piece of plywood to sit on top of it and with a hunk of 2X4 for under the A frame it's just the right height to roll up and attach the plow to the truck. The only complaint I have is that it's a bit too narrow to be really stable--a 7.5 foot blade tips to one side or the other too easily. The price was right though...

6. bgrover

bgrover Member

I bought a set from Plow Dolly, who at least used to, have a link on this site. They work great. With my plow on them I can roll it anywhere I want in my garage and when I need to hook it up can push it right on. I wouldn't be without them now that I've used them.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

We have used a lot of old shopping carts too.Now we just cut em up for the wheels and fab our own cart for each plow.