1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow dollies

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mattymax, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

What's the best option for plow dollies for my western to be able to move it in and out of my shed?
    I saw that boss has the caster wheels that go into the lower posts.

Let me know what you guys use
  2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

We just slide and use our skid steer.

However if you have a smooth surface I would buy some casters and make them. If I would set them up to fit into the skid plate holes. Then on the A frame build a bracket that supports the frame.

Casters can be found cheap around here at Menards. TSC has them but they are pricey
  3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got a couple pieces of rod that fit into where the shoes do and welded a piece of flat steel to each one, got some casters at menards and bolted them on. Put my floor jack under the lift frame and it moves pretty easy.
  4. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

I use my snowmobile dollies. Once the sleds are stored for the season, slide one under each wing, use the third one and a block of wood under the frame. The plow will be out before the sleds next season.
  5. stone74

stone74 Member

Sled dollies is exactly what I do as well, mine even have the v in them so the blade fits right in and it doesn't slide/push off when you are movin it.
  6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Sled dollies here too for under my MVP. I had some heavy duty auto casters that I use for the stands.
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We have skid steers with pallet forks if needed...but a few yrs ago I bought a 4500lb (I think) pallet jack from harbor freight for $200...has been very handy for more than just moving a plow around on occasion.
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

This is not the best option but the cheapest that I found and it works well. Bought 5 furniture dollies at Harbor Freight. Cross stacked 2 on the left side, Cross stacked 2 on the right side, put 1 in the back. Pull my truck up to mount. When done plowing, pull truck up to un mount. I have markings on my garage floor so I know where to put the dollies. I pull my truck up to the 1 inch lip from driveway to garage floor. Perfect alignment every time
  9. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

11. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

12. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I bought a $9.99 on sale at Northern Tool 1000lb capacity furniture dolly. Took the wheels off, through bolted 3 of them to a 8' 2x6 ($6) and added some 2x4's($3) side by side to make a wide T with the 4th wheel added under the A-frame. Not very heavy duty, but works moving it around on my garage floor. $20 solved my parking problem and works with any plow angle.

Might want to go with bigger casters (air filled?) for in/out of shed.
    May not need full 8' board, but three wheels under plow(one in middle) seems to help over bumps as at least 2 will always be carrying weight.
  13. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Pictures? Of all the custom snow plow dollies. :)
  14. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

Here's some pics of the $20 version. Mine is a conventional plow, lift frame stays on truck. Heavier duty casters might change directions easier (wheel swivel). For Ultra/Uni might want a longer T frame. I like it low because most of the A Frame will roll under truck for parking. :drinkup:

15. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Thanks. That helps a lot.
  16. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member