1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow doesn't work, big snow coming!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AMiller320, Nov 22, 2003.

1. AMiller320

AMiller320 Junior Member

Hey, guys -- I've got some big snow coming, and my plow is inoperative. I'm hoping for some quick help!

This is on a 1989 Chevy K2500 with a 7' Western, Cable operated.

PROBLEM: When I try to move the plow (angle or raise) the truck's engine dies. If I keep the revs high, it won't die for a few seconds... but the plow doesn't move. The solenoid clicks (sometimes repeatedly in succession), but the plow motor isn't running.

We checked:
    Battery has full charge
    Alternator is fine
    12v going to solenoid
    9-10v out of solenoid when it's activated
    New 'hot' cable going to plow
    Ground looks okay

I'm guessing I need a replacement solenoid. Besides a plow dealer (i'm in the boonies), where can I find a replacement? If I do have to go to a dealer, what's the part number??

Thanks!
    Andy>>

2. kc8mxa

kc8mxa Junior Member

sounds like the pump maybe froze up (stuck).
    the relay is working if you hear a click..

3. kc8mxa

kc8mxa Junior Member

sounds like the pump maybe froze up (stuck).
    the relay is working if you hear a click..

4. AMiller320

AMiller320 Junior Member

How do I fix that? New motor? Big hammer?

5. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Im not sure how to fix it but i would say just go buy a new one its the fastest way man THAT WHITE STUFFS COMING TONIGHT. Hopefuly it will be a good storm. payup I have been runing around all day getting ready. :dizzy: Hopefuly it wont be a flunk cause I sure didnt want to do all that for nothing.

6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I would try jumping the solenoid first and see if that works

7. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Bypass Electrical

A good way to check the motor is to hook jumper cables directly to both posts on the battery and to the motor this will bypass the solenoid and all control wires, If the motor runs this way unhook the ground jumper from the battery to see if it still runs if not the ground wire is bad, This is a fast way to check without changing parts.I have seen this a couple times before it has always been the ground wire, The best way to run a ground is to go directly from the battery to the body of the pump motor.
    Hyperpack