1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Doesn't always want to angle

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tasbm5, Jan 30, 2016.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hello all, I have a 7'6" Fisher LD plow and lately when I press the fishstick
    to angle left it goes right or sometimes wont move . if I tap the controller a
    couple times and drop the blade it will angle and today it didn't respond to me trying to raise the blade a few times . I have been just doing the drain and fill with fluid do you think a dirty filter/system could be causing this ?
    Thanks in advance Terry

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the controller on the fritz

3. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Is there anyway to tell if its the controller other than trying a new one ?
    Thanks

4. dieselss

No not really. Your description sounds like a controller issue tho

5. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Any idea if the 6 pin fisher and the western controller are the same ? would much
    rather deal with the Western Dealer than the Fisher .

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  6. dieselss

Yep. There the same

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have access to another controller?

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It could be that your S3 valve / coil is compromised as well. By itself it raises the blade, but in conjunction with the S2 valve it angles the blade left...if you request a left angle function and the S3 coil / valve doesn't perform it's part, the blade will angle right instead. Is raising and angling left the only functions that are acting up? Motor running when selecting these functions?

9. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

yes angling left was the only problem I had until the last snow fall and that's when a few times
    when I went to lift my blade it wouldn't lift , I backed up out of the snow pile and then it lifted up .

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Given that this is a...seasoned plow, and you've only been draining and filling (always replace the filter and clean and inspect the magnet...always!), and what you're describing for an issue, I myself would recommend a thorough cleaning of the pump assembly, that is after checking the obvious things...grill connections, wires going into the back of the connectors, chaffed control harness, fluid level, and make sure the connections are tight on the coil / valve spade terminals.

Drain the system, pull the coils / valves, pull the reservoir off, clean it, clean the magnet, replace the filter / orings / pickup tube, clean out the bores where the valves go, clean the valves themselves and inspect the o rings thoroughly for deterioration, cuts, nicks... Take a pick tool or similar and check the movement of the valves, obviously paying close attention to the S3 valve...they should slide in smooth, and when released they should spring right back out just as smooth, any hesitation or hang up, clean vigorously again, and or replace. I personally use a firm toothbrush / mechanics brush..K1, diesel, parts cleaner, brake cleaner in extreme cases (remove o'rings before using brake cleaner). Reassemble and fill with fresh fluid.

Although not recommended, if you want to be lazy about it, pull the S3 valve, clean the hell out of it, reinstall / top off fluid, and see how it goes.

View attachment Coil valve location.pdf

11. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Thanks for all the help guys , going to pick up all what's needed for complete clean and flush today
    and while I'm there check to see if it is my controller .
    again thanks Terry

12. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hi Guys just an update it was the controller and OUCH!!!!! did that hurt to replace .
    I'm still going to replace my filter and drain my system this weekend .
    Thanks again for all your help
    Terry