1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow does not hold position

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Shackleton, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Shackleton

Shackleton Junior Member

<I also posted this in the Boss Plows Discussion Forum>

I have a used RT3 Straight-Blade with SmartHitch 8'6" plow. I bought it used in 2012. Loved plowing with it all 2012 through 2013. In the past couple of weeks it's having a problem holding the plow in the angle or in the down position and it's getting worse.

When I put the plow down to plow, as it builds up pushing snow, the blade will slowly lift up to the point where I'm driving in deep snow. I have to stop, backup, put the plow down again, and drive forward again.

Also, if I put the blade in the straight position, and I'm plowing with a load that is heavy to one side or the other, the blade will slam to an angle at that side...so if the load is heavy on the right, it will slam to a right angle.

Anybody have any ideas what's wrong with it. I talked to a mechanic at the local Boss Dealer and he says this is the way it is supposed to work so that nothing gets damaged. I don't believe him
  2. muddy

muddy Junior Member
    from Indiana

I'm new to the whole snow plowing thing. I picked up a used western almost 2 years ago, and just got around to installing it on my jeep last weekend. Anyway, I had to do some research to get everything hooked up and working properly. I found a mechanics service guide online, and printed it off. Maybe you can find something like that for your BOSS plow?

Also, The guy you talked to at the dealership is correct. At least that's how my western is designed. There are "cushion valves" built into the hydro system. they are like a pop-off valve on an air compressor, If you hit something with one side of the plow(when plow is straight) and the pressure in the angle ram spikes, the cushion valve is supposed to open and let the blade angle. This is supposed to reduce shock and damage to the plow and vehicle.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the springs on your cushion valves are getting week, or dirty fluid has kept a valve from closing completely, which is allowing fluid to leak between the angle cylinders.

Again, I'm really new to all of this. I'm not even sure if your plow is even comparable to the one I have. These are just my thoughts after having gone through my plow to get it operational after setting for several years.