1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Does Not Angle Either Direction

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Rellum, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Rellum

Rellum Junior Member

I am a new member to the plowsite but it looks like there is a lot of good info here.

I have an old plow mounted to a 1966 Scout. The plow pump is belt driven and the control valves are mounted on the firewall. The valves are made by Cessna.

Yesterday I was plowing and hit a hard ice packed snowbank. Now the plow does not angle left or right. It still goes up and down so I do have pump pressure. I'm not sure if the problem would be in the control valves on the firewall or if the cylinders themselves could both be damaged. When I try to angle the plow either direction, the pump deadheads and it will eventually kill the motor.

I have read a number of posts that talk about the hose couplings potentially being the problem.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unhook the hoses for the tilt rams from the truck and hook them together while the blade is raised on the truck manually try to push the blade to the tilt extremes. The hoses together 'should' allow the rams to cycle into each other- this will check out the hose couplings on the ram ends and the rams. If the blade won't angle when you push on the end it 'could' be a coupler and most likely is.

If those move showing the rams and couplers ok it's possible it is the coupler on the truck end- there is a ball in the center of them which seals the fluid from flowing out when disconnected- just press in on the ball with something (blunt pencil, small allen key) and look for fluid to come out (with the truck running you will get more fluid than not running- obviously)

If that all works it has got to be valve related. First thing is to make sure the control in the cab is moving the valves. If it is I suspect the valve has died- should be feairly easy to get replacement parts for the valve, being a Cessna, but you could replace the entire thing (about $200 I think)- Northerntool.com usually has some. With the age of the truck any of the above could be the trouble.
    See how that goes.

3. Rellum

Rellum Junior Member

Thanks

Justme...Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll give them a try this weekend. I'm guessing my plowing days are over for this year.

Rellum

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

due to the season possibly but no matter what the mechanical issue it is repairable and probabily easier than you might think. I think we're done with plowable storms here- this snow overnight was a joke on the weathermen.
    Good luck