1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Defletors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32vld, Dec 16, 2015.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

How effective are they?

I would think that helping to keep snow blowing over the hood onto the windshield and also help keep snow from coming over the top of the plow keeping the hydraulics and electrics drier.

Do I assume to much?

Also deflectors are made in rigid poly, a flexible poly, and rubber. If you guys had a choice of material which material would you want your deflector made from?
  2. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Rubber if installed properly.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For a resi's only rig deflectors won't do much for you since you're moving slow. Speeds over 10mph they help keeping the windshield clear. I've had both rubber and poly, both work very well. The poly is quite a bit lighter than rubber.
  4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Though why do you prefer deflectors made of rubber?

And what do you mean if installed properly?

The plow comes predrilled to bolt the deflector onto the plow.
  5. hark

hark Junior Member

We use rubber deflectors because of the flexibility. Pushing into a pile, the rubber will flex and bend. I will agree that the rubber is heavier, but I cannot imagine would make any difference for the plow.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A nother vote for the rubber deflector .

Every plow I have gets one installed just for the reasons the op posted.
  7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have a Western rubber deflector on my MVP. It helps a little, but you still get snow blowing up over it. The light fluffy snow is the worst, of course.
  8. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

The Boss V is not a good way, The Fisher blade is a better way

macchinery 044.jpg
  9. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i bought the boss one, it negate snow roll off the plow pretty bad so i cut a foot off of each end of it. now its perfect, best money i ever spent.
  10. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

What do you mean by snow not being able to roll off plow with standard rubber def installed? You cut off both ends? Why so? thanx
  11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The fisher rubber foils for the XV2 are about useless. I notice almost no difference. Still can't go over 8 or 9 mph in any kind of loose snow.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What's wrong with the Boss, it would appear to be more effective than the Fisher.
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

In powder I don't think anything is going to work well. Our xv's keep ripping at the mounting holes but they're only about 4" of material after the blade. When they come off again Im replacing them with basically the same material only this is 12" wide and A LOT cheaper.
  14. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Thinking about retro fitting a metal Fisher Snofoil onto a western blade. and see how that works
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Real men don't use rubber
  16. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

All my meyer plows have had rubber for years. They work well in wet snow that we have in our region most of the time. When it is light and powdery it does not work as well so still need to reduce speed. That said I can't imagine what a plow without one would feel like. Rubber for flexibility.
  17. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

For those that do not know I have a Jeep TJ, and leaning towards a Meyer plow.

Meyer has three choices for deflectors, they are made in rigid poly, a flexible poly, and rubber.

When I put up this thread I was leaning to the rubber deflector.
  18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We had the same problem so I put a few extra bolts through the top of the mold board. No problems since
  19. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I use the thermoplastic deflector for reasons in my link posted. Went back to straight blade this year and just installed one. I also plow large commercial lots. You have a completely different vehicle so it may or may not have the same benefits.

I purchased at Mill Supply again. I looked into Angelo's but after all the added shipping charges I was only going to save $15
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  20. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

To add a side note, if you end up getting the plastic one, make sure you get some flat bar to sandwich it to the plow like the rubber ones have. When I bought the first one they only gave me bolts. Deflector ripped off the first night out.