1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow decision

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by den327, Jan 7, 2007.

1. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

Hey Guys,
    I own a 2005 gmc z71 4x4 sierra.I have been researching this a little bit.I am wondering what the best plow would be for my truck.I would like to use the plow for light-medium commercial plowing.However I am trying to keep the weight to a minumum.Plows I have been looking at were the meyers st 7.5,Western Midweight,Snoway 26,mt and 29 series plows.Can anyone recommend which of these would be best for my application.Thanks,Dennis

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If those are the only choices you have tha this is the order that I would chose
    1. Western
    2. Meyer
    and thats it, don't waste your money on any light wieght plow. look at my profile and you'll see that I have all 7.6 foot blades on half ton Chevys.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'd look at the Blizzard 760LT. It's a becoming quite the popular light weight plow. I had one on my 04 Ram 1500 and couldn't have been happier.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 26 is a good plow and lighter then the 29, put the 29 is heavier plow that could upgrade to a 2500 easily.

Check the snoway website http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55 for other's experience with these plows

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Boss makes a real nice plow that is not too heavy. I have heard good things about them and are priced right with meyer and the rest of the pack

6. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Ive got a 2005 Chevy 1500 Z71 crew cab and I couldnt be happier with my Western. I did go with the 7.5 Pro-Plow though, its only slightly heavier than the mid-weight. I've always had Western and never had a problem!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Nice setup, isn't that a 1500HD though? Higher capacity front end, that same plow might put the OP over his front end max weight.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Western Mid weight
    Blizzard 760LT
    in that order

Stay away from meyer at all cost.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it was a 1500HD It'd have 8 lug wheel's.That's the easy way to tell. :) 7.6 PRO look's like it belong's on there.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  10. Snowbrdr360

Correct, its a 1500. But the front end has been beefed up, handles the weight like a champ.

I will be adding a 2500HD to my fleet this week, it shall be getting a 8.2 Western MVP:gunsfiring:

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the western is great plow i have one in my fleet

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

someone ^^^^ must be getting snow!!

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

there are nothing wrong with meyers just the people that dont take care of them

14. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

lol, I knew someone would be throwing that in there

15. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

Truck sits nice with that plow on it.What did you do to the suspension to beef it up.Something I think I might like to do.Thanks for all your input everyone.

16. Snowbrdr360

Heavier Torsion bars and timbrens. I also put some bigger tires with a better load rating on.

17. Snowbrdr360

Well they are predicting the possibility of a storm this weekend, but this truck is just a killer deal, trying to clear the lot out:) I also get the GM employee price becuase my fathers company supplies much of GM's metalworking fluids and coolants!!

18. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

Torsion bars

Do you know the part number of the torsion bars you upgraed too.Did this raise vehicle and or effect ride quality.Thanks

19. Snowbrdr360

:gunsfiring: I don't remember the part number for the bars, but they we're the heaviest GM offered. I didn't want to go aftermarket because by doing that I found you void your warranty on all front end parts. But after installing them and cranking, it did raise the truck a bit, sits perfectly level now:yow!:

20. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

When you installed your plow did u have to cut the front bumper?Really dont want to do that>ThanksAgain