1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow dealer won't sell plow for 2001 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stymie, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

I spoke with a plow dealer the other day and after checking his books from 3 different plow manufacturers he found that there were no specs available for installng a plow on a 2001 Ram 1500 club cab short bed. He said that he would be hesitant to install one even if I signed a waiver stating that I would not sue him if it voided the warranty. Sounds to me like he's a pretty upstanding dealer. What are you thoughts?
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to be blunt but the guy is full of Shi#t!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What were the 3 plow companies? I know for a fact all major companies make mounts for the 1500 rams. Was the guy complaining about the fact that it was a ext cab or had the 5.9 Litre V8 vs the 5.2 or vice versa? The 1500s plow fine don't let anyone tell you it can't plow. I see them with plows all the time. I would get a 7'6" plow for your truck. You may want to make some upgrades such as front timbrens (load boosters) to reduce sag with the plow on and an aux tranny cooler. If you have the tow package the cooler may alredy be installed. The guy is WAY OFF BASE to be so adament about not plowing with that truck id love to talk to him. Fact is that some dealers think that nothing under a 250/2500 series truck should plow and won't even think about mounting one on anything smaller. Absolutely crazy!!! The guy is making me mad and i have not even delt with him. Go to some other dealers first and see what they say, i think youll find out that this guy is an idiot. Most likely the other dealer(s) will have something for you. If not then buy a plow and say its for another truck, have it delivered to your house or put it in the back of the truck to take it home. Then install it yourself or find someone who can do it but is not a dealer (maybe you have a friend that knows). Plows are not too hard to install with the right tools I have done it with the help of someone that knew alot more than me but now i know its easy to learn. Good Luck and remebmber that there are many people out there with 1500 plow trucks that do great when SET UP RIGHT this dealer does not seem to understand that.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The problem is likely being a Club Cab. Although they do make mounts for Ram 1500s, Fisher is not showing any plow recommended for anything other than a Regular cab. The dealer is simply doing his job as he's being told.
  4. BLinindoll

BLinindoll Junior Member

I actually know of a very good hydraulic company in my area (who does a lot of plow work and installations) who refuses to install any plow on any new style dodge, whether it's a 1500, 2500, or a 3500. The reason they don't do it is because the newer dodges have crush points in the frame so that if you were to get in an accident, it would crush the frame. The crush points look like accordions in the frame. Luckily, I own the older 95 style dodge, without the crush points.
  5. cja1987

Not trying to challenge you at all Mick :) you always say something valid in your posts that is helpful to others.

Yes, i thought of that as one of the reasons before i even wrote the post. The guy is still going overboard in saying that he would not mount a plow even if he could, why couldent he? Theoretically the only specs he needs to know is that there is a mount that will bolt to the frame. Iam sure it can be done with out exceeding the Front axle rating. Ext cab does not even add much weight. This guy also sells 3 different plow brands one of them definately meets the specs iam sure of that. A friend of mine just got a 7'6" RD Fisher for his 2004 F-150 ext cab installed by a dealer. It has plow prep but it still is not as good as it the older 150s with plows. Fisher only recommends a 7'2" homesteader for it but 3 different dealers told him to get the RD. Believe it or not his choice was in no way influenced by crazy me who would plow with any 1500/150 4X4. ;) I think if you look around you will find a dealer that uses his own judgement and knowlage of trucks and plows and gets you something that works and does not just read from a book and no you to death and STILL meets the specs and does not put too much stress on your truck. Come on THREE plow companies and nothing to work with? he can't further show his stupidity by recommending a 6.5 or 7 footer!!! id like his phone # so i can call and inquire about my truck, see what he says probley NO. I feel very strongly about this especially having a 750 LB plow on an ext cab F-150 with no problems at all, no way your truck can't handle at least 510 LBS, NO POSSIBLE WAY!
    I hope iam done with my ramble on 1/2 tons and plows but i just get crazy over it.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  6. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

look at snoway. no one would put a plow on my 1500 avalanche. Snoway was the one company that would and it works great.
  7. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

i agree with Avalancheplow but have another suggestion too. I was going to do a Snoway but happened upon my local Blizzard dealer who will put a Blizzard 760LT model, the LT is important, on my half ton new Chevy. The regular 760 is about 700+ pounds but the LT is barely over 500. I am getting mine installed for 2800.00 on the truck. Good luck man.
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

As a dealer i use my own judgement when installing the 7.5 RD's on lighter trucks,i've never had a problem and hope to keep it that way.That being said,i have gone against Fisher's recomendations and installed some for customers i felt knew the risks and were not involved in heavy commercial plowing,my biggest problem with the light duty plows is the price,if they want to make a light duty plow fine,but to price it within a couple hundred dollars of a RD plow is senseless IMO.The resale of a RD will far surpass a LD.I have turned down "cowboys" whom i knew would have trouble and leave me with a bad rep but it was the right choice.
    I'm actually putting a 7.5 RD on a 97' Dodge ram 1500 Ext cab tomorrow,truck is well out of warranty and customer is plowing his driveway and possibly the neighbors,he understands Fisher does not reccomend the mount yet i'm very comfortable about this particular choice.
  9. cja1987

BLinindoll iam not attacking you i understand that you are informing us of the choice of a particular dealer as to what he will/won't do.

The 2001 rams are not the new body style and iam almost 100% sure that the frame is the same as the mid late 90's models. I will check on that. If the dealer won't even install plows on 3/4 or 1 ton dodges that have the "new" frame then its at their own loss, fisher recommends up to a 9'5" V on the 04 2500 rams. And if 3/4 and 1 tons cant plow then dodge has a major problem that they need to fix. However the plow companies think otherwise and so do I on all dodge 4X4 pick ups they will and, if they were mine, are going to plow any way you slice it. Arc Burn is a good dealer hes putting an RD on almost the same truck so there goes the idea of not plowing with dodge 1/2 ton ext cabs. He also (as he said) is confident in the recomendation that he made to the customer.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

[QUOTE He also (as he said) is confident in the recomendation that he made to the customer.[/QUOTE]

Confident in THAT situation,i can recall customers i've turned down.
  11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS......There are a few plow dealers in my area of NY that will NOT
    install certain plows on certain models of trucks.
    Either the plow mfr. OR the truck mfr. does not recommend it.

Prob. cuz everybody is so SUE happy nowadaze !................

If you wish to purchase a 9ft. V from them cash and carry and install it
    on your 1/2 ton...........NO PROBLEM.........NO warranty either........

Crazy but true..........

Stymie...The plow guy was just covering his butt !
    Get ya a Western 7.6 ultra mount set up. Priced right, reasonable weight for your truck to carry, and a hard working unit !............good luck...geo :drinkup:
  12. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

Thanks all. I have to say that I thought it was refreshing to find someone that is happier to lose a sale than potentially ruin someone's truck. He did say that the recent model 1500's have been made more for comfort and crash safety (less ridged frame so it buckles easier). He also said that since it's going to be used for a pretty rough and hilly road even though it's for residential use it's going to take quite a beating. Instead of taking the chance of ruining my truck I think that I'm leaning towards buying an older model truck with a plow already attached. Looks like my place is going to begin looking more and more like a true mountain home with so many vehicles parked around it.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats all bs there fig that your gonna carry five passengers your not gonna take your family snowplowing i would get a 7.5 western or fisher rd plow
  14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck will take a 7'6" in the light series. 550 lbs maximum. Not all companys have them.
    Blizzard lists one for the regular cab but not for ext. cab. It is the same one but you are on your own as to vehicle warranty etc.
  15. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

sonjaab is the closest to being correct.

A dealer installing a plow is actually considered the "manufacturer" of the entire vehicle for liability reasons. They must actually relabel the truck with an "altered vehicle" sticker if they are following the letter of the law. If he installs equipment not recommended by the oem he assumes the liability for conforming with all the safety regulations. Airbag operation, braking, axle rating, crash worthiness, lighting etc. A dealer who does follow the recommendations is more protected because he can pass the liability back to the oem or equipment manufactures (they check out what they recommend and certify their equipment will pass if installed per their instructions). Apparently this dealer does not want to assume that risk. Each of us makes choices like that every day.
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is this a state thing paricular to Iowa? I'd never heard of if, but that doesn't really mean anything either. Learn something new every day.

I'm curious - are you from the Centerville area of Iowa? There's a newspaper there called "Iowaegan" or something like that.
  17. cja1987

If thats your opinion and its your truck then you have the final say and no one should contest it. ITS YOUR TRUCK YOUR DECISION, DEFINATELY NOT MINE. A plow will not kill that truck thats false information. Vehicle warrenties and technacalities like that are an obsticle for some. They can't flat out void your warrenty with out proving that damage occured because of plowing. If you don't really like the idea of having another truck sitting around waiting for it to snow then i can tell you that you have a very capeable plow truck on your hands in the Ram. But since no one wants to set it up with the right plow for you then i guess you can either drive a distance to get it or get an old truck. My F-150 has plowed everything i have managed to throw at it including 37 drives on a regular basis. I know all about the hills i have had my truck up and down many hills pushing a full blade of snow, at my house and in the mountains of new hampshire. My plow is "too big" (it really is) and i have not had a single problem, trucks got 91K on it now. I can understand your position about not wanting to kill your truck but the fact is you could get a 360 LB plow for it if you were worried about it. Plow some residentials go easy and believe me you will have no plow related problems. Seriousley don't take any advice from me iam 17 years old, just trying to make sure you know that the plow is an option for the Ram. Whatever you do its up to you. :waving:
  18. maurader

maurader Member

I've been reading this site for quite a while and feel now it's time to comment. I've been plowing for 11 years and I've never used anything bigger than a 1/2 ton truck. 8 years with an 87 Blazer and 3 with a 1998 4 door Chevy Tahoe. I've never had a problem in all that time and I've always used a 7 1/2 foot Western Unimount Pro. I know it wasn't recommended to use a 700lb plow on those trucks but they worked great. I just bought a 2004 Chevy 2500HD and I'll have to see what a difference that will make.
    The western page only shows a regular cab for that year truck but on a 2004 they recommend a 7'6 midweight plow. I wonder what the difference is. My local dealer wouldn't put my plow on either so I just did it myself.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  19. cja1987

Look anything like your truck?

20. cja1987

That truck in the pic is a 2001 ram club cab 1500
    Also, today alone i saw 4 ram 1500's with plow mounts on them. I look for mounts on everysingle 4X4 I pass, well i just got back from the store where i saw a 2004 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with a Curtis plow mount on it. The guy gets out of the truck so i asked him what size plow he has (i do these things probley drives everyone nuts) he replies "7 and 1/2". So my guess is that he has the same plow as me 750 LBS on a crew cab. To my knowlage curtis does not have a lighter 7'6". So it can be done, it has been done many times. Again i do think the 2001 is the "old frame" so the crumble points are invalid in this case. Does not matter what anyone says you can have someone do it or do it your self and not exceed any specs on the axles. The dealer has to prove that you screwed up your truck with the plow to deny the warrenty. IE Transmission goes. The same tranny goes in a plow prep truck as a non plow prep truck. So they can't say that you did it with the plow when they honar the warrenty on the plow prep truck with the same tranny. The only thing i can think of is front end issues which in that case you would have to swollow the bill. They can not legally void your entire warrenty. Dearlers at the local dodge dealer know nothing or very little about plows you can get them to back off IF you have a plow related problem and they give you trouble. Of course there are the guys who say that 1/2 tons are for commuting to work and nothing else and won't change their opinions. Use the truck you got, how often is the plow really on it? Keep the truck in great shape change your trans fluid once or twice during plow season. Go easy on the truck and take the plow off as soon as youre done plowing instead of driving around with it for the entire winter. Get an aux trans cooler some timbrens (load boosters) and a 350 LB plow if your really concerned about doing damage. No way with a light plow and all those precautions are you going to do damage to your truck. Most including me say that a 7'6" around 530 LBS is right for that truck.