1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow dead

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Pearcelawn, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

O.K. I have had a couple of small issues with this plow and have blown them off. Last night we had 6-8 inches of wet snow and I go jump in my truck to get some work done. Drive to my first spot ( a pizza place) put the blade down and that was all she wrote. No up, no down pressure,no side to side. Luckily I knew the owner of the shop and he and one of his delivery guys came out and lifted the blade so I could put the stop collar on and get it home.

This morning I am going to the dealer to get it repaired. It had better not take long because I have already received one call from a peeved customer. I just sent out my lawn contracts last week and this kind of service may put a dent in my summer income.

After $ 4000 for the plow this sort of stuff shouldn't be happening.And now 3 trips to the dealer,maybe I made a mistake with this purchase.:mad:

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

you did check the batteries in your remote and such right?

also i have seen the power cable come unhooked before

3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Yes sir I did do the battery thing and there was power because I heard it clicking.

After an early morning trip to the dealer we discovered that the weld that holds the "brain" of the plow had broken and allowed the unit to short out against the pump.

After some welding and arguing with the dealer about me not paying,I got back on the road.

I hope this kind of stuff doesn't happen again. The weld in question was inside the power box so there was no way it got hit by anything. There was no damage to the bracket. It simply failed.

4. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Mine did the same thing last week and I changed the coil and that fixed it.prsport

5. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Don't you just hate it when that happens?!!!

I was just at a pizza place I plow and it quit. The dealer said the weld was never properly done.

I will keep the coil thing in mind if it keeps happening. I appreciate the info.

6. SGTPOOL

SGTPOOL Member

could you explain more what broke, possibly a picutre so that we all could take a quick look at ours. thanks

7. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I will post a pic in a day or two. I suck at downloading them!!!

Until then, If you take the cover off of the power unit and stand in front of the plow,on the right side,in front is the brain of the plow in a vertical position. It is a box with a group of wires leading to it and the antenna (white wire) stuck straight up along the back. The brain is about 4"by4"by1". The weld that failed is one of the sides that holds the unit vertical. It is held by two pieces of steel,one on each side,with a long screw over the top to "pinch" the sides together and keep it in place.

Hope this helps till I get you a pic.

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

It can happen to anyone......my partner had a similar issue with his western.....plow went down and that was it...... He parked it and has yet to check it out....

Snoway still rocks....

9. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Pearcelawn,

Not a very good picture but is this what broke on your plow? The picture that I have attached is of one of the brackets that holds the module in place.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  10. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

rhkfwain-That would be correct!!! I don't know how it happened, but it broke. Thanks for doing the pic for me. I have an older el-cheapo camera and it is terrible for downloading pics. Guess it is time for a new one!!!!

Dmontgomery- I still love the Sno Way. I have had a bunch of nickel and dime stuff plus 3 things that required a trip to the dealer go wrong. I know it is like any other piece of equipment that gets used but I had another brand that I bought used and for 5 years never had a thing break on it. I guess for brand new I expected a bit more. Once the bugs get worked out it will be fine.

11. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Sorry I ment the solenoid. not coil. I was up for 36 hrs with no sleep.:cry:

12. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Cool cause I carry a spare solenoid already. I kind of had a feeling that is what you meant but I am no expert and will take hints and help at face value. Thanks for correcting. Hopefully 36 hours with no sleep means you were making some dough!!!payup

13. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Yes the money is nice.payup

14. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Every time you take the plow off the truck clean the power cable. If it gets dirty the plow will get power just not enough to make it work. I made this mistake once already and learned my lesson.

15. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Update

Just to let everyone know, all is well so far. Everything seems to be holding and the plow is working as it should.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Still a Sno Way fan.