1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow cuts out ignition?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by IBGPIN, Jan 16, 2007.

IBGPIN Junior Member
    from Ontario

Newbe here, I recently picked up an 87 YJ with older Hydro plow.(up/down only) (Make unknown) For some reason when I raise the plow, it cuts the ignition and will sometimes stall the Jeep.
    Can anyone advise how I can fix this problem?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. lubricity

lubricity Member

It could be a bad battery or battery cable connections. Seems you are cutting the juice to the motor by demanding the current needed to lift the plow. But without looking I'm only stabbing at simple solutions.

IBGPIN Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is definately taxing the electrical system when the plow is lifted. It dims the lights as well. I breifly looked the cables over and all looked ok, but I will go over it better when it warms up a bit, -22 right now.. I was thinking along the lines of a bad ground or something.
    Thanks again
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The pump could be pulling so much that it drops your voltage too low. The computer needs like 8 volts to function. If it's not your wires - connection - battery- etc.
    Your pump may need a new motor because it's pulling too many amps.
  5. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

My first concern would be ground wires..Check then and replace them..