1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow creaking on unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by S-10 Plower, Oct 6, 2006.

1. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Ok i have a problem i think.
    My plow is creaking when i raise it and lower it, could it be the packing seals on the raise / lower ram?

any help would be appriciated.

Thanks Mark

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Or it could be that the pins have rusted or are dry.. Try this stuff called grease on them. (pins/ bushings/pivot)

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You could throw a little fluid film on the lift ram packing nut also. Just spray around the base of the lift ram.

4. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Try to lubricate

:waving: You plow with an S-10? How's that work out? I had some slight creaking and just used some good penatrating oil. Spray the lift cylinder, the hinge points and then spray your angel cylinders. Snow Farmer is right, although I wouldn't put it his way.xysport You gotta keep some lubricant on them. I just reconditioned my plow and when I put it back together I used never-seze. How long will it last? I don't know but, It took awhile to get that sh-- off my hands :realmad:

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  5. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Thanks to all will try your ideas before rebuilding the unit.

Pale rider.
    i'm in the middle of reconditioning my plow right now thats when i discovered the problem.
    I did plow with an s-10 a few years ago when i first got hooked up with plowsite i don't plow with it any more i now have a full size truck, the only this bad about the s-10 was it had s small blade on it so it took longer to plow large areas, but it was sweet in small drives and tight spots between buildings and those 7' wide side walks.
    Mark