1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow controller keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by robjets, Dec 6, 2013.

1. robjets

robjets Member

My controller keeps shutting itself off while it's being used. Seems to do it after a lot of use, like it is getting to warm. This is a hand held controller, tried on the little joystick and tends to do the same thing but just not quite as often. Any suggestions?

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Xtreme V? Mine does the same thing. I just recieved a "jump wire" that plugs in between the controller and the wiring harness @ the floorboard that comes from the plow. Fisher knows of the issue, and this is supposed to be the solution. Call your dealer, and ask for it.
    Here's a picture of mine. Part number on the sticker is 69787.
    [​IMG]

If your dealer has no clue what you are talking about, call E.W. Sleeper in NH. Speak to the parts dept. Use the sticker number I gave you. They will know.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Adapter

That's for a 4 pin controller. Did they happen to tell you what they diagnosed the problem to be and what the adapter does to solve it? Curious to know.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. Buswell Forest

from NH

It works my V right, and seems to have fixed the power cut off issue.
    Why, I have NO idea, and they did not say. But I can say that E.W. Sleeper in Concord NH knew what the issue was, and sent this to me a full year after purchase for nothing. Even UPS'd it. They did a great job installing it, and I would reccomend them to anyone in NH or Western Maine.

5. Buswell Forest

from NH

It works my V right, and seems to have fixed the power cut off issue.
    Why, I have NO idea, and they did not say. But I can say that E.W. Sleeper in Concord NH knew what the issue was, and sent this to me a full year after purchase for nothing. Even UPS'd it. They did a great job installing it, and I would recommend them to anyone in NH or Western Maine.

6. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I have the same problem, I got the jump wire at the end of last season, but it has no fixed the issue. Whenever I angle the plow or retract the wings and they hit the stop or when the plow is down and it chatters as you are pushing the controller shuts off. Is a huge pain in the rear, I have checked several of the connections and they all seem fine. I think it has to be at the pump as it happens when they frame is jarred.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

Yeah, this jumper wire didn't work either. If anything, it's worse. But I know it's in the wiring, because I lose power when I shake the controller wire. And yes, it loses jiuce when the plow jarrs a bit too. But again, it's the wires in the cab...
    I am getting pissed. I may drive the 60 miles to the installing dealer, and have them seek a fix, since it has done this since day one, last January 3rd. I just made due with it. And they know it's an issue. Or, I may cut and solder the controller to the wiring permanently. See if that helps.

8. redneck farmer

Mine has done it since new as well and was installed last winter in January as well the day before the blizzard, wonder if we have the same installing dealer?

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

Ew sleeper.

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

Made an appointment with Sleeper for next Friday. Warranty covers it. And my wife couldn't understand WHY I HAD TO BUY A NEW TRUCK AND PLOW....well...this is why...not withstanding the fact the plow is new and has an issue..

FTR, I love this plow. Except for the thing shutting off every 30 seconds to 5 minutes while in use, it has been awesome.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Keep the updates coming. Really interested in the fix

12. redneck farmer

Guess it isn't an install thing Bushwell I bought mine from J&B Sales in Lee. I almost bought it at Sleeper, but I was in a pinch last winter and they installed it the next day. I will be making an appointment back there to see about a fix, keep us posted on what they find

13. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

the fix jumper wire is to prevent the controller wire (thru firewall) from pulling away from the white plastic connector. it is the ignition wire that is being pulled out of the connector especially without the jumper wire as you move the controller it pulls just enough to power off (so i was told).
    that being said i am on my second jumper wire (first lasted about 4 long events). to test this, simply jiggle/move only the jumper wire you should see the red power light turn off but the controller will stay backlit. I will update on how my second jumper wire goes.
    I own 5 of these and this only occured on one which was installed by a dealer, I did all the rest of the installs

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

You are right! The red light goes off, but the controller remains back-lit.
    I think I am going to let them look at it, and if it starts doing it again, I will cut and solder the wires permanently. I leave the controller installed year round anyway. Drape it over the steering column. Never gets kicked or touched.

15. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

You have a bad connection with the power or ground wire. Loosen connections at battery and retighten. Grease plug and then loosen and tighten connections at relay next to the pump on the plow side... Did this when I first connected my plow this year. Good luck

16. robjets

robjets Member

Did you have the same problem and did it fix it once you checked the wires? Mine is a straight blade and only 2 years old.

17. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

I would have this issue occasionally, but when I first connected the plow this year the red light would shut off but stay lit when I went to operate it. Not sure it'll solve your issues but it appears that when there are bad connections, most likely your grounds, you will experience this. I hope it helps ya. Keep us posted.

18. robjets

robjets Member

I went and bought a new controller. The standard controller that comes with plow seemed to have no problem, just hand held one. Going to try new one now. Hopefully it fixes issue. Nothing like spending $310 on a new one since nobody can fix old one

19. Buswell Forest

from NH

I had some time to kill sitting in the truck this AM, waiting for my trucker to return for a second load of pulp.
    So, I decided to monkey with it. First, I removed the controller from the jumper wire.
    I used a leatherman knife to enlarge the male connector pins on the controller wire (Pun in there somewhere), as they are designed to be a press fit. They have a slot where they were formed in a rolling process, and the knife just opened that up, thereby making the pin a larger diameter.
    Then, I plugged it back in to the jumper, and turned the plow on. Wiggle the controller, light went out again.
    So, I removed the jumper, used the leatherman's tiny flat blade screwdriver, and pushed the red power wires into the plastic connector on the plow side wiring harness. (The part that comes through the firewall)
    Basically, I seated the wires deeper into the connector, and therefore, into the brass pins in the connector. (The female side of the controller-wiring harness connection)
    Then I connected the controller WITHOUT the jumper, and tried the plow again. This time, the light didn't go out.
    As a test, I left it on for the drive home. Every other time, since new, that I have driven with the plow, the controller power light (red) would be off within a minute. This time, it was on when I got home, a 1-/2 hour drive on bumpy roads.

So, I think it was just a loose connection there at the controller-wiring harness connection. I hope I healed it, because we have snow coming, and it was a drag to turn the power on every 45 seconds.

20. redneck farmer

Bushwell,how did it work?