1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow controller just quit!!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Feb 9, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Out plowing this morning and just came home to take a little break. After a few pushes, when i went to raise, nothing happened. looked down, and the red power button on the controller was out. I turned it back on, and as soon as I pushed a button (not sure if I tried each one), the power went off again. After a couple tries, now it won't turn on at all. Tried a box style joystick I have as a spare and same - no power. Will try to pull up some diagnostic stuff from Fisher but any HELP appreciated!

PS - I did check the fuse in the add-a-circuit and it is not blown.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I loaded up the troubleshooting guide in the mechanics guide. Pg 41 is a test for no power to the control. step 1 is check for 12v on socket #1, good there. Step 2 is check for ground on socket #3, good there as well. next step is control test, which is take apart the controller, which I can't do. But I've swapped in another controller that worked fine when last checked, and its showing the same symptoms.

I pulled the truck to plow connections and make sure to lube w/ di-electric grease...

After a time i can get the power light to come back on, but same thing - it goes out as soon as i hit a button...Any thoughts?!?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

See the thread on here called Factory Technical Support . . . Call that toll free number. They'll take care of you.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks John - just about the time you posted this, I saw that thread and they put me on the right track. I had done a "wiggle" test on the battery connections, but I went back out and checked them with a wrench and they had loosened up. Tightened 'em up, and was good to go for the rest of the afternoon. Thanks so much!

5. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Awesome! Glad to hear. That's what it's all about.

6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Sort of. I was able to go back out for a couple hours, but the problem has popped up twice since then, and now I it has happened again and can't do anything (trying to take the plow off to drive the truck to work tomorrow, 76 miles roundtrip). Up until Saturday morning, after plowing for about 3 hours Friday night and about 4 hours Saturday morning, I had never had any issues (have used the setup for 1 storm prior) I have triple checked the battery connections and the connections at the solenoid. At this point, the only thing I didn't touch was to pull off the truck ground (which is under the front bumper???) and the module to have the latter tested. Really annoyed, because I had to turn down several $100 jobs because of this, and the salt in the wound honestly is its a bit embarrassing when the town plow finally cleans up the road and I'm out there shoveling my apron because my new (to me) plow rig is sitting there useless :realmad:

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Any suggestions? In reading the mechanics guide, pg 42 states if power light is off, and fuse is good, if the park/turn signals do not function to check the vehicle cable assembly and vehicle control harness grounds. The park/turn are not currently working, and have, so I think it would indicate ground issue(s).

The ground connection on the pump is good and tight. In addition to the black thick battery cable off that post, is the ground from the pump controls and the ground from the headlights. I wiggled the butt connector (no shrink wrap/tape) on the headlight ground wire and no change. I'm going to pull the wires off and put some dielectric grease on there but I don't suspect that will help much. The truck still starts and runs fine so I don't think its a vehicle ground issue...

It's 41* and raining today, so I'm sure the moisture isn't helping... If nothing else, is there a way to release the pressure on the pump so I can at least drop the blade and drive my truck without carrying the plow??? :salute:

EDIT: Well, went out and pulled off the 3 ground wires to the pump and greased, no change. I can hear the module making a noise to make the flashers work, but nothing is getting to the bulb. I guess the only other thing left is to go step by step per this post and check for ground and each point and see where it is "stopping", if that's possible. First, I need to shovel the heavy/wet slop from the end of my driveway before it freezes :(

Did notice that the bracket that holds the pump to the tower has separate at both lower points, and looks to have a crack on one of the top mounts, so will need to get that fixed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I had a suspicion the headlight ground was the issue, and I believe I've identified the issue. Pulled the wire off the pump, and checked with a DMM between the wire and ground, nothing. I'd like to take the time to upgrade to Intensifiers, but every dealer around me is either out of stock, or at the least closed for tonight. I can't seem to find the proper wiring guide on Fisher's site, but according to p. 18 of the mechanics guide it looks like the last connection is in the PS light, so I'll start there. Wish me luck! Thumbs Up

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I checked the ground wire from the headlights and its not getting any voltage. Connected DMM direct from the screw in the parking light to the pump (and battery to be sure) and no voltage. I used the DMM to apply 12v from battery to the ground screw and got 12v so the ground itself is good, so it would seem I'm not getting power from the module to the park/turn lights themselves... I started going through the diagnostic but I'm stuck because it says to check for continuity between "pin 7 of the vehicle lighting harness" and pin C of the 10 pin ISO connector, but I can't seem to find a diagram showing the pin #'s for the vehicle lighting harness, and they aren't marked like the ISO connector is. Anyone help or could point me to the right spot?

10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Problem appears to be solved. Took it to a Fisher dealer, and found that the connection between + battery and the solenoid had a bit of corrosion in the lug and showed decent voltage but would drop way down under load. So I'm praying that is the only issue, and I'll be good for tonight! payup

11. BBC co

BBC co PlowSite.com Addict

had the same issue before the big storm had removed both terminal connections from battery and cleaned every thing with a wire battery post brush re tightened and did not tighten the ground enough causing this issue. After tightening the ground worked fine. I would highly recommend using a factory grounding point located high on the engine compartment sidewall maybe where the computer is grounded away from excessive road containment. Preventive maintenance is a game winner even tho it works now, I'd move the ground and make a new connection that is easy to see and maintain with that in mind.