1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow control problem

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 97-RIV, Dec 1, 2008.

1. 97-RIV

97-RIV Junior Member

:confused:Good Day
    Finally got the 7'-6" western (1995 used plow) hooked up to a 1990 Ford F150 extended cab. I am going to use this for my own driveway which is rather large. The plow lifts and lowers and angles right fine. It won"t angle left but instead wants to lift when the joystick is pushed to the left. Took the green wire off the solonoid and exchanged it with the white-yellow, the green wire was on the left upper solonoid and the w-y was on the upper right and the blue wire is on the lower solonoid looking at the plow from the truck side. Anyway when exchanging the wires the plow angles left and right and raises but won't float till I put the W-Y back on the right side solonoid.
    I'm thinking controller problem(Diode) maybe. Just wondering if any one else has experianced this problem so it can save me some time and testing.
    Thank Youtymusic
    P.S we don't have alot of snow but managed to use the plow and it is fine other than a pain when I want to anle the plow so I just left it straight till I figure it out.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Before condemning the controller check fo continuity in the green wire all the way from the coil on the S2 valve (where you disconencted it) to the connector plug where the controller plugs into the control harness, could have a bad connection or broken conductor in the green wire.

May end up just being as simple as a dirty/corroded/broken pin in the grill connection plug as well.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sounds like you are on the right path, do you have access to another control? that would be the simple way to check for a bad controller.

4. 97-RIV

97-RIV Junior Member

Thanks Guys
    Like it was yesterday(Sunday) when I hooked it up and and didn't feel like doing too much testing, I know where there is a controller (another plow for sale from the City of Dryden and I know this controller was working when removed this fall) that I am going to try and will do the continuity check on the green wire if the controller dosen't do the trick.
    Thanks for the quick replys

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you have a continuity tester you could check the green wire first. Might save you a trip.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

start with the easy tests first. Voltmeter or test light check the voltages at the controller connector by moving the controller and checking each wire for voltage. If a wire has no voltage (Except ground) Its a bad controller

If all the wires have voltage

disconnect the "+" lead at the pump (this will prevent you from being crushed when working in the space between the plow and truck).

with a test light or volt meeter have some one work the controller. check all wires for voltage.

if you get voltage at all the connectors the problem is a bad coil or sticking valve.

If you have one wire without voltage its a broken wire, connector.