1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Contolls Left or Right

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Dec 22, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Where do you guys have your plow controlls on the left or right.

Most of our small trucks have them on the right. However some guys are now putting them on the left, because they say it is much better.

Our big trucks have all the controlls of the left because there are so many controlls to run.

Anyways where do you guys like um?

Geoff

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

i have mine mounted on the floor next to the gear shift right next to my knee. i can change gears and move the plow with 1 hand and drive with the other

Mark K

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Plow on left spreader on right for me. Course the Fisher V has the handheld but I leave it mounted on the left sidewhen not in use.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

all mine are on the left- most screwed to middle of dash, my latest install has it actually on the door at the end of the arm rest....wired it all through the door......no wires show at all and a very clean finished look

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

(Grrr...I hate that! I typed a three paragraph reply, preveiwed it and by the time I went back and forth fixing all my two fingered typing errors the page had "expired"...Oh well. I'll do it again.)

The truck I usually use has the Meyer touch pad laying on the seat beside the driver, held in place with some velcro. After I shift all I have to do is let my arm drop to my side and rest there--plow controls at my fingertips. The others have the controls dash mounted to the left of the steering wheel. I don't like that as well--you're always reaching out. That door mounted setup sounds *real* slick.

As I posted in the "first plow rigs" thread, on my old 79 GMC 4-speed I mounted the toggles right to the gearshift. I could work the plow with just my thumb while I almost never took my hand off the shifter. When I moved that plow setup to a truck with an automatic I mounted the same switches to the transfer case shifter. It's workable, but not as comfortable as any of the other setups.

For what it's worth, I have an International 1750 single axle dump which was once a PennDOT truck. The 11 foot plow came with it, but it's in bad shape and I've never even mounted it. It has a central hydraulic system. The dump, and plow controls are floor mounted between the driver and passenger seats. Not bad for a ten mile stretch of highway I guess, but I'll bet it would be a bear to plow a parking lot with.

6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

The truck I plowed with for the last 4 years was a stick. I installed a Hurst shifter in it, then mounted my Western "joystck" control right on the shifter so I could control the plow with my thumb while shifting gears.

My new truck is an auto, so I have the controller mounted on the left, just within reach of my left fingers. I have big enough hands so that I can move the gearshift with my right hand without taking it iff the steering wheel.

My brother made up a cool mount for his where he attaches it to his left leg using a big velcro strap. He adjusts it so that his hand falls perfectly on it.

7. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I'm still in the dark ages with cable controls mounted on the hump to the right. They work well and never short out or blow fuses.

Bruce

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have always had my contolls on the right, up to this year. When I had the cable contolls they were on the right, so when i went to electric i thought that would be the best spot.

Well this year, i got a new truck and new plow. The controlls went to the left this time, and I must say I love the change.

Geoff

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I too had the western cable control mounted on the
    stand on the trans. hump.....My new ultramount I
    got the NICE hand held. Wasn't sure where to
    mount this one so I told the installer to zip tie
    the plug on the right and if I don't like it I can
    move it if necessary. Sure wish it would SNOW
    so I can find that perfect spot for it !........Geo

10. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I mounted my meyer slick stick on the gearshift handle because its manual.very nice as I can shift and move the plow with my thumb at the same time.

11. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have my fisher fishtik mounted on the right. on my old truck i had it on the left. ive only gotten to plow once this year, but i think its easier to use on the left.

12. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Mine are on the left, even though the fish-stick is removable I never use it hand held, my spreader controls are on the right

Bill

13. Hidles

Hidles Junior Member

mine are on my console

14. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Hidles

First post, huh?

Well then let me be the first to say welcome to plowsite. You've found the home of the snow people.

Bruce

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have mine on the left.I put them there becuase I could shift and steer with my right hand as I angle and lift with the left thought that it was better for speed.

16. sledhead

sledhead Member

Left or Right?

I have the Cab-Command hand held unit and have not yet plowed with it.
    I have, however, played with it and think i have found its home.
    Stuck down between the seat at my right knee. (I know, your thinking why get the hand control if your not going to hold it)
    Its right below the the shift lever and just below the level of the center console/ armrest. I figure this will work good for lots where there is long forward and reverse moves. But will propobly hand hold it for drives.
    Hard to really say since there is no snow to work it yet.

Merry X-Mas every one.

Sledhead

17. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I have the Meyers touch pad and it rides on the right when I'm not plowing. I have a peice of velcro on the left that I move it to when I'm plowing. I like it there when I'm plowing so I can shift & steer with my right while working the plow with my left at the same time.

Hope everybody has a GREAT HOLIDAY!!! And maybe we'll get some of that white stuff soon, for those of us that haven't seen any yet!!!

Mark

18. 2 shot

2 shot Junior Member

I run mine on the right , I screwed a small piece
    of alum. to the bottom and slid it between the top and
    bottom of the console of my truck.

Chad

19. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a Monarch rocker-switch controller, I built a pedestal from 2x2x.125 HSS (2" square tube, 1/8" wall) that bolts to the transmission hump. Also have a phone holder mounted to it.

Since I HATE reaching for controls, this puts them right at my fingertips. :)

20. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

New Boss

hand controler fits in the slot of the door closer & lays flat not blocking any power switchs. And is the perfect height just rest your arm on the arm rest & push the buttons. All I need now is SNOW!;)