1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow connector trouble

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ant118, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

Well hopefully this is an easy fix. The power and headlight plug will not fully connect. I mean when I plug the connectors in the male side on the plow will not push in all the way. Now I had to just move the plow quickly. I plugged it in as far as It would go. The lights did switch over to the plow lights but if I moved the plug, it would loose connection. Now when I operated the plow there was a heavy draw as I could watch my battery gauge creep slowly down. Im thinking cause It wasn't fully connected? This has never happened before. I checked the batteries they are working great. Alternator is working great. The plow is a older Unimount 7'6 Pro. The truck is a 2001 Chev 2500hd Duramax. Any suggestions.

Update: Well Considering it was night time and my flashlight was dead. I looked at the connectors today and notice a build up of grim and road crap. Im going to go clean the connectors now, I don't have those rubber caps anymore someone took them off my truck. Anything I can wrap them with while driving and not having the plow on? Hopefully after I clean them it might slow the issue?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you can order the caps from suppliers online if you want.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Rubber glove, Latex glove. I know cheesy but it will work until you get the cap. Put a rubber band around the wrist part.
  4. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Dielectric grease in those connectors also
  5. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

Alright thanks guys. I used a crap load of electrical connector cleaner and spray the crap out of the connectors. I guess it was too dark and no flash light to see. The amount of dirt in the main power connector (truck side) was crazy. Blew it out with a airline after. Filled it right up with dielectric grease all connectors and works perfect. I took a garbage bag and cut it around the one connector that doesn't have a rubber cover. Works good for now. Waiting for my new rubber covers to come in. Sorry for the stupidity guys these long weeks must have been getting to me lol.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Get a tiny jeweler's screw driver set or a tiny drill bit and work it in with your fingers to bore out that grime and corrosion. Then work in some dielectric grease and as the guys said above, use anything to cover them up. A zippy lock sandwich bag or even a big condom would be better than leaving them open.