1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow competition?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jan 14, 2003.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I know there are snowplow rodeos out there, and those are good and all but theres no snow invloved.

How about a real plow off. Everyone uses the same plow and truck.

Clear and area of 3" of snow, fastest time wins.

Clear and area with 10" of snow.

The road entrance, moving though a 3' tall windrow of snow, 25' long, with a 100' deep area.

What do you guys think? Sound like a fun time

Come on plow manufactures, you want to prove you have the best plow, now is your chance. Put your product to the real world test.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Good luck finding someone to donate their equipment to have 50 guys or however many beat the snot out of it. Maybe get a dealership involved with a demo truck?

Sounds like a good reason to get together and tip a few cold ones.
  3. GeoffD

I know it sounds hair brained. However it would give manufactures a chance to really prove their product.

Those test seam kinda simple, but i know guys who can fly through 3" of snow but they can't deal with 10". They get frustrated and go off about it.

I mean there would have to be some ground rules to avoid transmission slamming.

4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Sounds good, Whats even better is if something breaks it won't cost you anything.:D
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If someone's donating a truck and a plow...I'm in. If it's my own truck...no thanks, but I'll watch. Maybe I can get some extra plowing from the guys who wreck their trucks:) and I'll come back later with some beer as a reward for the extra income:drinkup:
  6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting plow manufacturers to participate but good luck getting the trucks because they're going to take a beating if you base the competition on time. I agree you'll need some ground rules to try and save the equipment being used. If you manage to organize something let me know. Might need to find some guys closer to home to compete against.
  7. GeoffD

Don't look at me, I am waiting for the manufactures to step up to the plate.

Blizzard want to prove you plow nows your chance, Meyer want to try to show us the quality of your new blades, here ya go. Fisher, Western, snowway, here ya go.

8. farmertim

farmertim Member

snowplow rally

sounds like fun guys, but where you going to hold it? when ?
    Yellow Horse Yukon in May might work then I wouldn't be worried about my customers while I'm havin fun!!
    My first post, been trying to join for 3 months, finally got it done.:D
  9. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Welcom aboard farmertim,
    Sure would look good . . . a convoy of snowplowers headed for the Yukon. But why not Alaska? Probably get cheap gas too?:) As in for the truck OK!
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Count me in,that would be a hoot

Should also have an unlimited class for our own modded trucks.......too bad mines stock ;)

I might even be able to donate a truck to use.Hopefully the prize money i'll win will pay for all the repairs :)

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Sounds like fun! I mean seeing what THAT truck would look like after everyone has their turn at it! WELCOME ABOARD FARMER TIM! You'll find this is A GREAT SITE!:)
  12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I'll volunteer some of my accounts;) (I'll am too new at this to compete... I'll be on vacation on the beach)

Leadville could have it anytime in May..
  13. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

great idea

If the plow manufacturers want to prove that their plows are so great why wouldn't the truck manufacturers want to prove that their trucks are tough trucks (built FORD tough)? I don't that will happen soon but then again they let Motortrend, etc. beat the tar out of their cars in the name of Automotive Science. But there are far fewer snowplowers than automotive enthusiasts.

I am not familiar with snowplowing rodeos. I only found places that had them for big road plow trucks. Are there any for 1/2-1 ton trucks? Are they all going through a slalom course and hitting a tennis ball type of exercises?
  14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Put 7ft of snow in the lot over 5 days & I'm in... =)
    10" is nothing.... I'd sit there laugh at you guys tring to stack it.

I'd totaly be in if it wasnt any cost to me except actualy damage to the truck/plow. YOUR ALL GOING DOWN!!! burried under my piles.

Tennis ball? lol, let's use marbles burried under the snow.
    Add in some man holes & water pipes sticking up on the cource.

But like I said only in 7ft of snow...
    :drinkup: :drinkup:
  15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Sounds like a fun idea. My only question is, how are you going to arrange for the right amount of snow at the right time and place?
  16. windmill

windmill Senior Member

. . . and then get it to snow the same amount AND consistency right after the first plow, or group of plows, has finished their run. The logistics will be a wee bit tough I think. After the competition is no problem :drinkup: but during will be. Then again which might be the most important?
  17. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

You could always use snow-makers... there are many diffrent kinds and strengths to choose from, You could have snow-maker companies show off their stuff as well....

18. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

hehe now if only they made in ground snow makers like irrigation we could turn on for some snow to plow.
    I'm jealous of you guys upstate. Wish I was there.
  19. GeoffD

thats exactly what i was thinking. Make a pile of snow, so its consistant, spread it out over a large area. Then mark out the area, into like 10 slots and you have 10 runners. The other guys are elliminated in earlier challenges. Connecting blade, checking spreader, a rodeo type event around obsticles, ect.

I know its a little on the crazy side.

20. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Do we get to have a shopping cart derby?