1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow compatiblility with winch bumper and thought on boss RT1 purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hondarecon4435, Jan 14, 2011.

1. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

hey guys currently plowing with an atv and looking to put a plow on my 96 ram 2500 cummins. i have a honda sport quad that i am trying to trade for a plow and a guy is interested in trading me for a boss rt1 i beleive 8'2 but not 100% sure on the size. it comes with everything mount, pump, blade, lights, wiring. the whole setup needs a coat of paint for sure but seems to be in good workable condition with no bad rusting of the blade. i am wondering if this plow will be reliable and if it does brake can i replace parts such as the pump with a newer model as old parts would be hard to find.

now the mount is for a first gen dodge and i have a second gen i can handle the fab work to swap it over but my only concern is my front bumper interfering with the plow. i have a homemade front bumper on there that sticks out about 6in further than factory. would there be any issue extending the hoop further out and incorperating my front reciever as a 3rd mounting point so it will be plenty strong.

here is a link to the plow if you have the time to check it out
    http://reading.craigslist.org/grd/2157752166.html

and here is a pic of my bumper so you know what i'm talking about i can take a side pic tomorrow and draw my proposed idea over the picture of the hoop if that would help

!cid__moto_0174.jpg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

not to be a pain but that hond is worth prob 2x that and if you parted out the honda on ebay prob 3x that.

if me i would wait till the off season and gather some parts and make a setup to incorperate in that nice bumper you got.

if me fab a simple lift gear for the top use the reciver tube as the lower piviot of the lift ram. then add 2 more recivers to the top going stright down. make a simple upper head gear for lights and lift arm/triangle. then in the off season just pops up / out real easy and flush mount.

then the lower grab most and lower setup that would fit your truck and go from there. basic bolt on. then if need be plow modify to fit the lower mount pin spacing.

then grab a simple pump unit and possible hide behind 1 side of the bumper real easy out of the way . hoses pop out 1 air hole in the front real easy when in use.

that old boss looks good but way to old for what you want if you ask me.

3. hondarecon4435

thanks for the advise i do want to say however that the quad is only worth the same or less than the $1500 he is asking and i feel his price is steep anyway for such an old plow so it would be about an even trade.

i am only going to be able to get a plow by trade right now cause i don't have the cash and i can't sell this atv nobody is looking to buy toys right now. the only other people that have showed interest in trading were for beat up meyers that weren't even a full setup that would deffinately not be worth the trade

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i picked up my whole fisher speedcaster few years ago in the middle of the winter for 400 bucks and fit my truck 100% bolt on and go.

just got to keep an eye out for the right deal. Thumbs Up

but this is your stuff and up to you.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

there is a chance you will be way over front axle weight if you leave your winch bumper on and install a plow. you need to weight the front of your truck and see how much FAWR you have left.

6. hondarecon4435

the weight is deffinately something to consider but the bumper is only about 250lbs and a wild guess i'd say the plows around 1000lbs and if a truck can't handle that it's not a truck i want to own. dodge may not say that it can hold it but that doesn't mean it can't

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

hondarecon4435
    I built a bumper this fall similar to what I think you're trying to do.
    The pump mounts with a receiver hitch on the bottom and tabs on the cross bar.
    Since I built the bumper for this purpose the wall stock on the tube and everything else is heavier than what you typically find on aftermarket winch bumpers.
    I'll leave the pump and lights on all season but the option to remove between storms is there. I put dowel pins in the mounts I made for the Plow lights so they're aligned when they come on and off. It takes about 5-10minutes to take the pump and lights off.

There's some pics on this thread; http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=114659&highlight=buff&page=2 and scroll to post #32

8. hondarecon4435

that's a nice looking setup you built for sure. what i am trying to do however is just extend the existing hoop when i get my plow just so it clears my bumper and was then thinking i should add a 2" peice of square tubing that would slide in the front receiver of my bumper that way it would create a 3rd mounting point for the hoop which should make it very strong

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ahh...........is see.
    Good idea using the receiver as a addition support, sounds like you have a pretty neat project in front of you. I would be cautious of how far everything ends up hanging out. I'd try to keep it as tight to the bumper as possible.
    Oh and thx for the compliment

10. hondarecon4435

yep plan is to keep it tucked against the bumper as close as possible but i still fear the end of the lifting arm may be an inch or so past the plow lift point. does anyone forsee an issue with it lifting like that

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You're going to want to maintain the same relationship or geometry between the lift arm and the lift point within a inch or less. You may have to push the lower plow frame forward if needed.