1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Comments - Blizzard Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jay ALC, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Hey guys,
    Check this web site out http://www.blizzardplows.com My dealer wants me to look at the Power Plow. They even sent me a video and all kinds of info. Wondered if anyone on here has one or has seen one or used one? Also what do you think even by just looking at the web site? I am debating this plow over a Superduty Boss Straight plow or Boss V. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Groundbreaker

Groundbreaker Junior Member

I looked at the blizzard site. You got me thinking now. I haven't bought a plow yet, If there is a dealer close by I might consider the 810!

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The concept is good, but lots of parts to bend/bind/break. And a multitude of hoses and cylinders to leak. I've looked at them up close and I feel they are way too complex to stand the abuse.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I believe the manager of Denver Intl airport mentioned they had 2 or 3 of those plows, and while they loved the plow, it also was broken down alot, that is about the only person I have heard first hand from, but it kinda echos what Alan said. Those wings are hanging way out, and the end of the plow takes alot of abuse. It doesnt take a big hit to tweak that area of movement enough to bind the wing. Stay with with a v plow, and if you have to have the extra width, add prowings.
    Dino

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

My guess is that all of the things said about the blizzard plow were at one time said about the V plow when it first came out. So if you like the concept and are willing to take a chance I think they could be a good alternative to the V. Second hand knowlage in regards to plow equipment is usually not worth a hill of beans,something often exhibited here.You need to be able to apply the actual equipment to your application and conditions to really see the true durability and productivity that a particular piece will have.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Excellent points, Digger, and I'd love to try a Blizzard but I just can't bring myself to part with the money to experiment with one. No dealer locally, so that's part of the equation as well. Attitudes are pretty conservative around here, nobody running pull plow either, yet. Since I'm already considered somewhat of a looney for running Sno-Way, and S-10s, and using predominantly salt I'm going ot give the local experts something more to snicker about and try a SnowMan this winter. If/when Blizzard gets some years under their belt and a dealer here I'm not ruling out trying one, it's just that right now my opinion is they look too fragile for the task.

7. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Thanks guys,
    Not sure if I will get a V but definately a Boss, the Blizzard is nice but 200 hundred #s extra for the wings over a straight superduty Boss. I also don't like the light tower key: its stays on the truck only plow comes off as far as I know. Also what was said above about experience in making plows. They(Blizzard) sent me info and a video, and also pricing. $4395 for the 810. They sent me a whole list of the pricing and said they would stop by to show me one, when they are close by. Seems strange that they would send dealer stuff to everyone. My dealer got the same packet as me from them and he was dissapointed when I told him that I received one too. Seems as though they need dealers...badly.

8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

The company I plow with has one on a F550 and in the begining we had some trouble with it but I think we came to the comclusion that it was from a very carless employee that shouldn't even have been driving the truck. Once we got it all fixed up the plow was incedible, on big parking lots you can angle the blade, extend one wing stianght out and angle the other wing so you get like no dribble, it moves some good snow. I like the plow, I thought about putting one one my truck and getting rid of my meyer but it's a little to heavy for my 3500 chevy. :(

9. Groundbreaker

Little green guy-
    Tell me more about the F550. 4wd or 2wd, what kind of weight did you haul while plowing, ect. I'll be using a F450 2wd, 3yd dump along with a 2-3 yd sander and I was wondering if It will work for the res and com sites this winter. Thank you

10. litle green guy

I 550 is a 2000 powerstroke deseil 4x4, automatic with a 12' grain body dump. We used it to plow schools with. We didn't run a sander on it but we usually put a couple yards of sand or qp in the back. We also pulled the trailers around for the sidewalk crew with it. Oh yah, and it had snow tires. It did plow a few driveways one time to but it's to big for that.

We also had a 89' f450 2 wd manual with a 464 gas engine and a 9' western plow with a 2 yd sander. That truck also has a 9' rack body dump on it. With some wieght and chaines it worked well on parking lots and raods at the schools as long as you don't push piles with it and keep your momentum.

We also ran a f800, skid steer and a bunch of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups

11. Groundbreaker

Did some more reading in the search thing. I'm feeling beter about the 2wd. You may ask, "why didn't you get a 4wd and not worry about it?" The F450 was a used truck and got a good deal on it. Also a contributing factor, my father used to drive it and I knew the history of the truck. Can't wait to see what that 7.3 can push around!

12. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Groundbreaker - you might have seen a post or two from me in your search, but if not I'll say that LGG is correct - I use a 2wd C-35 with a Western straight blade and it works fine on lots that are fairly level and where you can use your momentum to your advantage. I would NOT try a hilly, winding driveway with it though!

Good tires & a decent amount of ballast are important, and while I wouldn't advise buying a 2wd truck specifically for plowing, if you've already got the truck it can work well if you stay within the limits.

As for the Blizzard plow, I tend to be somewhat conservative myself. Concept is good, long-term durability is my concern. Anything that goes on a pickup can only weigh so much, and it's always a compromise between weight & strength.

13. Groundbreaker

75-I haven't been to a tire place to look for a "snow tire" Any suggestions? I'll probaly need a set of new fronts (getting a little rounded) The back ones now are a flat looking retred (dually)

14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running your basic M+S (Mud & Snow) radial on the back of mine, with a similar type of tread up front. Not quite as pronounced a tread as the traditional bias-ply "snow tire" from the old days, but they work fine for me.

So I'd say any decent, fairly aggressive M+S tread will work for your application. Being the F450, does your truck use an oddball size rim, or the usual 16"? (I'm not really up to speed on my Ford trucks!) The only thing that might limit selection would be if you have an odd-sized wheel.

15. Groundbreaker

75- thanks for the info. Now I know what I should be looking for.
    I've got 16's

16. litle green guy

What year is your 450?

17. Groundbreaker

1990 It's getting a paint job this week. It'll look just like new soon.