1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow choices

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Josh454, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Josh454

Josh454 Junior Member

Well I'm new to this forum and plowing and was hoping to get some advice before I buy a plow in the next few weeks. I just got a 2003 Silverado 1500HD 4x4 with Quadrasteer and am trying to decide which plow I should get. I have a good installer close to where I'll be plowing who specializes in Western so I am probably going to go with them.

So down to my question. I am going to be doing the parking lot plowing for 2 small buildings I manage. One lot is a rectangle and about 100 cars. The other is a U and probably 150 cars. I have a feeling I will be plowing around cars fairly often and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on if an 8.5' plow would be too big. I'm deciding between an 8 and 8.5' Pro or Pro+.

Any ideas would be helpful

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

unless your doing driveways you can never have too big a plow. However with a light duty truck youll be pushing it with an 8 foot plow. your better off with a 7.5 foot plow or a larger truck.

Also, boss makes a nice little V plow that should work well.

3. Josh454

Josh454 Junior Member

I would like to get a Boss but they won't install anything larger than a 7.5' even though it's a 3/4 truck. Western will let me install any plow they sell on it. I'll probably be putting timbrens on the front nomatter what plow I get

4. stroker79

I thought a 1500 was a half ton?

5. Josh454

Josh454 Junior Member

It's a weird combination. The 1500HD was only out for a few years and it use to be the only way to get a crew cab smaller than a 1 ton i believe. It is a light duty 3/4 chassis with the 6L motor and the larger 4L80 trans. It has 8 lug wheels and all the weight and towing specs of a regular 2500 truck with a 1500 crewcab body. I couldn't tell you why they did it that way but it has every option they offered and 4 wheel steering in amazing shape so I couldn't pass it up.

6. stroker79

Hmm, not bad!

Good luck!

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

No bigger then an 8' plow.
    Dealer support and service is more important then brand.

8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the 8 foot, then buy wings for it!

9. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I second the wings. Best bang for the buck!!! around $200 shipped for buyers pro wings from northern tool. I think that wings are just as good if not better than a Vee plow!

My .02

+

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would buy the 8' also but spend the extra money and get the Western wings.

11. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

8' max wings would help. If you want to spend the money.

12. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

no bigger than the 8', and defently put the teberons on as well, look in the drivers door jamb to see what the GVWR rating is, if is under 8600, than you only have a 1/2 ton, my 2500 silverado's are a 9200lb GVWR, there are alot of things that go into what the ratings are, besides the springs, the brakes, frame, axle ratings, and tire size determines what rating they put on the truck

13. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

My 03 says 8600 and 4410 on the front.

14. Josh454

Josh454 Junior Member

Mine is the same. 8600 and 4410. I know the frame is the same as a 2500, I'm not sure if the suspension is. I know it is bigger than a 1500 and with the bigger transmission I think it should be ok for plowing.

15. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

yes it is a 3/4 ton, in the old days, the 8600gvw was the hd 3/4 ton, so it should work fine

16. mjsmith70

mjsmith70 Junior Member

The 1500 hd has a gfaw of 4400 lbs. I have one with an 8 foot pro plow on it. I would not recommend going any bigger or heavier. The truck has handled the plow well and does a good job it has a spreader in it so it has some ballast. But its all the plow weight I would put on one. And on western's web site the 8' pro plow is the biggest they recommend also.

17. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

dealer support is more important as said. buy from someone that has been selling them for awhile and has good service and parts.

About all the plows are good in one way or another. Most guys on here are biased. I've got a snoway, 2 meyers, 1 hiniker, and 1 boss v.

snoway has impressed me the most as far as a lighter truck plow.