1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Choices

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 10, 2006.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I am looking at installing either a Pro Plow or Pro Plus on a 2006 QC/SB Diesel 2500. So how do I make the decision other than weight difference. Is the Plus that much stronger and reliable? I have a post going over in the Dodge area regarding the width and weight, but my main question is the decision of the Pro Plow or Pro Plus. What ever one I choose, it will be steel not poly.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Western doesn't recommend the plus for your truck,only the pro due to the heavy diesel out front.The pro plus is about 100lbs heavier than the pro,just enough to push it over the front axle rating.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Yes and if I remember right they limit me to a 7.5...aside from that is the difference worth concidering a Pro Plus compared to a Pro Plow?

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would get the 8' proplus. There is no comparison between a pro and a pro plus. The plus is a far suprior designed to the pro. Its taller, more curve, heavier pivot points, etc. Plus you can put the pro plus wings on and gain at least a 20% production increase. Its what I plow with and it the only thing I will plow with till the new western power plow comes out this spring.

The only reason why western says you can't do it. Is because they thing you are going to try to plow with 4 people in the cab, etc. So they are trying to protect themselves from the liablity factor. Put a 1000lbs behind the rear wheels and you will be just find. There are several people on here with 8.5' pro plus on 2500HD/F-250 on crew cabs.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Even though they dont recommend it, if your local dealer will do it I'd go with an 8ft pro plus.You'll have plenty of truck to push it and carry the ballast.

6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

What do you use for 1000# of ballast?

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Bags of sand (get the plastic ones) or bags of salt or landscape block