1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Choices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MJM Landscaping, Nov 17, 2005.

1. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Really torn on what plow to put on my 2004 F 150. It does not have the heavy front end in it.

Choices: Curtis 7.6 regular duty full trip weight 750 $3500

Boss 7.6 standard duty full trip weight 650 $3700

Blizzard 760LT lighter duty full trip weight 550 $3500

I really wanted an 8 footer but everyone is really hesitant.
    One place I found will hang a Boss 8 foot full trip super duty for $3950.
    Truck will mostly be used for driveways with a very conservative driver. What do you guys think?
  2. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I have a 7'6 boss standard duty on an 88 suburban and it works pretty good, may be a little light to cut down on hard pack, but is probably the nicest plow for ease of removal, boss also has very good hydraulics. But I have heard that blizzard makes a good plow too.
  3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

considering you have a 1/2 ton i'd stick with a 7.5.i'd go with a boss, i have a 9'2" v-boss and have done NOTHING to it except change the fluid , it's going on it's 12'th year of service. good luck, pete
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If I were you I would go with the Boss or the Blizzard...:nod:
  5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Your'e from Maine and not even considering a Fisher????
  6. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

Have you looked at the bilzzard speed wing there 596 and it will do alot more than a strait blade
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would never put a 9.2 v on a f150 i would go with the curtis i like mine its built very good
  8. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

Shop around for some better prices. I paid less then $3000 for my blizzard 860. Local adds here are 2700 installed for the 760.
  9. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have been leaning towards the boss. The shop that sells them are pretty good too. I have a fisher X blade on my one ton but they are so proud of that fisher homesteader plow, thats all they will have on my truck. I just dont see that for alot of driveways.

I can also go to new hampshire for the installation to save sales tax on either plow I decide on.
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Your better off with the 7'5" on an F-150. Hard to say which plow, they are all fine in my opinion. If your considering going to NH to get the plow, look at Portsmouth Ford right at the Portsmouth Traffic Circle. They usually have Blizzards dirt cheap compared to other places if you decide to go with blizzard. There both great plows, if i was in the exact situation I would buy the Curtis but for no other reason then iam used to them and I like how the mount looks when the plow is off, does not hang too low like the others.

You cant go wrong with any of the 3 plows you mentioned, look for a good price if that is a factor, otherwise go with what you like the most. I agree 100% about Fisher pushing their homesteader too much. They want to install it on all 1/2 tons for the most part and any of the imports and smaller trucks and SUVs. Iam really dissappointed with Fisher in this department, they make good light duty plows (LD 6'9" and LD 7'6") but never even try to sell those. Who is going to go with a fisher homesteader if you can get a much better build plow that weighs the exact same or just a little more. I dont get it.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would really look at that blizzard 760 speed wing. I am currently trying to talk a friend into mounting one on his 1997 F-150 to plow driveways.

You just can't go wrong by going blizzard.
  12. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

I havent really looked at the blizzard speed wing. I talked to one blizzard dealership and they said the only brackets that will bolt onto my truck would be for the LT series. This is one main reason way i am really thinking BOSS.
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Find another dealer. A blizzard rep to me himself the 760 speed wing was designed for the Chevy 1500, Ford F150 and dodge 1500 exclusially. So there are mounts to make it fit. That the bigger 860 speed wing is for 3/4 tons and bigger.
  14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, that dealer is full crap. Last I checked there were pics of the speedwing on an F-150 on their site.
  15. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Ya I saw that on the website too. I have to do something this week because it is almost December, you know.