1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow choice= tough decision

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brandon.edwards, Oct 3, 2014.

1. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

My buddy and i were talkin last night, and he is going to be buying a new plow for his new truck. He bought a 2014 2500HD and we were going back and forth last night about 3 different plows. Its narrowed down between the Boss DXT V plow, the meyer super V2, or the western wide out. I personally suggested the meyer, due to the fact that meyer has always been good to me and the warranty is 5 years instead of 3. So my question is, what do you all say in this debate. What plows are you running, and why do you run them. There are countless features we could go back and forth on between the 3, so what are some that made the choice for you?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Choosing a plow is easier than choosing the truck. Dealer support is #1. If the Meyer guy is down the street and will be open during storms and keeps all parts ready, I'd go that route. If you just like Boss but he's 30 min away and is closed during storms and says he can order your parts....don't go that route. Dealer #1 and your favorite brand is #2.

If you can fix yourself, can stock your own parts, and don't need a dealer in a pinch, then get the one you like.

3. DERHNTR

DERHNTR Junior Member

All 3 will work, just depends on how much trimming he wants to his valance. :(

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Which plow debate. Again.....

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For get the , " Dealer support is #1. If the Meyer guy is down the street and will be open during storms and keeps all parts ready, I'd go that route. If you just like Boss but he's 30 min away and is closed during storms and says he can order your parts....don't go that route. Dealer #1 and your favorite brand is #2. "

If you have to go to the dealer to get it fixed your loosing $$$ and time you don't have during a storm.

How close is this dealer to your accounts.
    I don't care how close to home he is....

You need to fix the basics yourself in the lot or drive.
    Carry extra hoses, (lift and swing) a ram, fluid , a extra solenoid and a jumper wire and a test light or meter. pins, electrical tape and wire strippers and tools, a few bolts and or pins

Then if it's something major it doesn't really mater if your guy is open or not your down, do you have a back up plan?

few plow dealerships are open 24/7 during a storm...

CYA

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I knew you'd chime in :laughing:. Imagine how quiet PS would be without them.

7. dieselss

I think we're up 5 as of last count?

8. dieselss

Well let's see if I remember this.
    G.v. Will pick boss
    Kimber will pick Fisher
    Basher will say snow way
    A few will say wideout
    And then some one will chime in and say make your own
    Then it'll be a weeks worth of a fight as usual. And nothing will get solved.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Forget (no space) this if you do not or cannot work on your own equipment. I used to work at a landscape, arborist, and snow plow equipment dealer. Dealer support is important because many guys would fly into the parking lot with problems. One of the problems a guy with a Fisher had was the plow would not drop. I unhooked the safety chain and the problem was solved.

You should be mostly self sufficient if you plow but should be is only an expectation.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget all the "help me price this account" threads:dizzy: this site would be so much better if they would not allow pricing questions.

To the OP, go with the Boss plow. It's the best built out of the three you listed. I'm not a Boss guy by any means but they make a nice blade. I'll take quality over price

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Also depends on what you're plowing.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

they fly in, only if your open and if they are not contractors.

If they are on the way or across town? (because your dealer will not be close to your accounts nor will they be open on holidays nor at 3am.....)
    To wait as someone works in your plow for you, who is plowing the lot?
    when does the business or residential customer need the use of the drive or lot?.
    If this is your business plan you will loose a lot of work.

There are no exceptions in profit and or in maintaining your accounts, self sufficiency is a must to survive in this business.

know your plow, plan for the worst.
    Your going to blow hoses and bend things and you must be able to trouble shoot your truck and plow on the fly, all of us who have been around, have fixed our plows under a street light in a blizzard at 3am.

fly to a dealer hahahahahah.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  13. dieselss

I'd hope snow.....

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a fisher v plow tough rugged plow and not much cutting out of the bottom valance of your truck.Easy to mount on truck and easy to get parts for