1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Chattering

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by buckmaster66, Dec 3, 2008.

1. buckmaster66

buckmaster66 Junior Member

I have a western cable plow 7 1/2 foot blade. While i am plowing snow my blade seems to be chattering alot. I mean chattering as bouncing like i'm plowing nothing but rumble strips. After i have completed a path of pushing snow you can see that it looks like rumble strips where i have plowed. I am plowing a paved parking lot (brand new). If i could get some help on this would much appreciate it.

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I would say that your spings arnt tight enough and it is tripping forwards and then coming back. Or do you have a new cutting edge on the plow that will do it to.

3. buckmaster66

I do have a new cutting edge. So what do i do for that?

4. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Did you check the tightness of your springs yet? Under no load when properly adjusted you should just be able to slide a sheet of paper between the second and third coils of the springs.

5. buckmaster66

Is that from the top or the bottom of the spring?

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I had that problem a couple of years ago when i replaced the cutting edge on one of my western plows it took a couple of events to break in the new cutting edge and it went away

7. Dodge Plow Pwr

I do it from the top of the spring.

8. buckmaster66

did from top and bottom of springs paper slides in and out. Readjusted springs a little bit more paper still works in and out fine. Still getting a lot of chattering when plowing!

9. Dodge Plow Pwr

Are you using plow shoes on it when it is doing this? I have changed cutting edges before and I have never really had this problem you have. Sorry I cannot offer any other assisitance. Maybe B&B is reading and can offer more and or better advice.
    :confused::confused::confused: I tried what I know.