1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow chattering problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by plowin boy, Feb 2, 2015.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

I have an 8' super duty with wings and while plowing yesterday the plow was jumping ALOT. It was a wet, heavy snow but only about 1 1/2 inches worth. I took the wings off and tried it and the plow didn't jump anymore. I'm assuming the problem is in the rubber edges on the wings but does anyone else have this problem or a solution to this when it's a wet slushy snow?
    Thanks Guys
    Scott

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Whats the height of your push-beam?

3. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

9 3/4" to center of bottom bolt and 11 3/4' to center of top bolt. Is that the correct place to measure too?

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

15 1/2
    From the pin hole to the ground.

You can adjust the height of the urethane just so it's touching
    The ground.

5. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

I adjusted the height on the urethane yesterday and didn't help it. I'll check to make sure the push beam height is correct. Thanks for your help
    Scott

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you set the edges? If not the chattering is caused by the poly edges for sure. Back drag them for a couple hunderd yards and set the attack angle on the poly and you'll be good to go.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting. Are you talking about the edges on the Boss wings? My DXT chatters when angled at certain speeds, especially if the pavement is scraping clean.

8. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

This is the 3rd time I've plowed with it. Not a bit of a problem the first 2 snows. So... after back dragging the poly, what do you mean set the attack angle? I loosened the bolts, raised the blade and dropped it and then retightened the bolts with the poly readjusted.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's all about attack angle, even after you wear a blade in a change in the trucks ride dynamics will change the way the blade sits on the road.

It will do it most when scraping clean, otherwise it is sliding on the material it is leaving behind.

Back dragging set the attack angle.

10. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

I'll make sure push beam is at correct height and will back drag blade. Thanks for the help guys