1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow charge vs. Salt charge

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DodgeBlizzard, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

When you guys plow a lot only, no walks for lets say $100, what would you charge for salting on the same lot? I don't think it matters if you use bagged, bulk or liquid. The end result is the lot is clear.

And does anybody figure it the other way around? Like figure the square footage/salt needed first, THEN figure your plow cost from that?

Just curious what others use as a formula.
  2. I and most of the other guys I know price their salt apps based on the cost of the actual material applied with a markup or service charge so your hypothetical $100 lot could vary greatly based on many factors such as square footage etc.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I calculate salt price on square footage
    I calculate plow price on square footage

There is no direct correlation between these two prices.

A $100 push could be a 40k lot, or a 10k lot, all depending on obstacles, location, etc
  4. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Square footage times a complexity factor Times a unit price. The unit is based on a ideal lot for plowing at salt a given year. It includes cost basis for labor, truck, salt, fuel plus overhead and profit.
  5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I charge a fee for material handling (picking it up and storing it) and I charge my hourly rates for labour and equipment used to apply. sometimes I use more, sometimes I use less. I charge for whatever I layed down. So they pay by the pound ($.25 sodium chloride, $3 sand & $.65 mag chloride) plus hourly rates to apply it.
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

bulk is always cheaper than bagged!
  7. BD Exteriors

BD Exteriors Junior Member

I price all of my salting up front on my bid along with plowing, so yes like you were originally asking if I plow a lot for $100 most of the time my salting price is going to come in at around $85-$95. I used to try to calculate how much salt I used and bill them accordingly per ton plus time. But lets be honest most of us guys run a v-box and don't have a scale in our loading unit and don't have any way of metering the flow. So I have found the upfront pricing the way to go, granted some lots will vary plow vs. salt price but for the most part I try to charge as close to my plowing price as I can
  8. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

$100 lot for me can be anywhere from 1 acre to 1/2 acre with islands. Typically though, it's about 45 minutes for me or say 44k sq ft. My salt would be around $130, less if it was wide open, fresh blacktop, in town (not at the edge of a wide open field.) Usually, my salt and plow pricing is relatively close to eachother with my salt being a little lower than plowing. In a normal event I'll plow once and salt up to 2 or 3 times through the day.