1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Chain Adjustment Questions

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by DocHolliday, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Junior Member
    from N/W PA.

Hello All,

I was wondering if it would hurt an E-47 to short chain the plow to the arm in the down position.
    Reason being that when I am traveling on the highway there would be no way the plow arm could drop at highway speeds. I would use three 4 by 4 blocks of wood to do chain adjustments. Second Question how much chain slack should there be when plow is on ground to allow proper float

2. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

no that isnt a problem at all alot of guys bring in their plows like that when they arent working

3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what you want to do is make sure the ram is all the way down press on it to lower it and i always put the chin on the first link that will go on and that is usually enough slack

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on what your plowing.

You want enough slack in the chain so that it will always have contact with the ground. If I notice Im not making scraping contact with lets say an entry way, I will adjust the chain to have more slack, so the plow drops more. It all depends on what your plowing.

But if you have to much slack, you can't raise your plow as high, takes longer holding up on the controller before anything happens, as I like to start to raise the plow as I plow into piles, the extra slack can be a Pita to adjust to.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Junior Member
    from N/W PA.

Hello All

bladescape2, nbenallo33 ;

Thanks for the info. Now I have the Truck all ready to plow . It's a 1982 GMC 3500 I have it about 92% restored.