1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow causing heavy squatting, what springs should I buy?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Backwell, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Backwell

Backwell Junior Member

Hey guys, I have a 2015 250 and last year my 8ft boss straight blade caused a lot of squatting in the front almost to the point where my frame cushioned was touching. Railroads sent fear through my spine.

Anyways, bought a 9ft 2inch V blade this year and I will obviously need to get new front springs. Wasn't sure what style or brand to get or if I should go with air ride instead. What do you guys recommend?
    [​IMG]

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What package does the truck have now.

3. Backwell

Backwell Junior Member

It is an xlt and it does not have the plow package.

4. 1olddogtwo

Didn't think it did, just find some 6000 lbs rated pounds.

My Vee is 11-6 and 1100 lbs or so....no problem.

5. howardg3

howardg3 Junior Member
    from name

Buy timbrens it will make differ rad

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do you use counter weight?
    Becuse its the first thing you should do.

It's about balancing out your truck and safety.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My F350 had, I think, the 5200 lb front springs. Changed them to the 6000 lb springs. Helped keep the front end up maybe 1.5" with my 8.5' MVP with wings on it (close to 1,000 lbs). Also keep about 800 lb of tube sand in the back.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Must of been made with Chevy parts. My Ford moves a quarter inch with my Boss v plow.

9. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

timbrens are definitely the way to go. 400 lbs in the bed over the axle works well too.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That impressive seeing as your stone age lights out weigh your plow...

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I never seen any F250 sag with a 8ft plow. You should handle that with ease. I would have it looked at to be sure what the problem maybe before I made any decision.

I don't know why you would not handle the 9ft. The truck is a 15 can't be worn suspension. Maybe they can be bought with lighter front ends. Check you GVW and axle rating.

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

To help with front end sag you don't put the weight "over" the rear axle, you put it BEHIND the rear axle. OP, put a 2 x 12 in the vertical slots towards the rear of your bed. Throw a bunch of tube sand between the 2 x 12 and the tailgate. The 2 x 12 will keep the sand behind you rear axle which is what you need. If that doesn't eliminate your problem address the front end with timbrens, air bags, or heavier weighted springs.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  13. 1olddogtwo

He already stated he DOESN'T have plow prep, changes are he has 4800 springs with a Gasser motor. Put 6k spring for less then 200 and 2 hrs worth of DW time.

14. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Install some Air Bag helpers in your springs .

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So does that mean he should t use counter weight of at least #500.?

Even with stiffer springs?

16. 1olddogtwo

I agree 100%

He needs to start with the basic, timbens, and every time else mentioned to solve the dipping is just band aids.

Ballast should always be used, it helps with weight distribution which affects traction and braking.

Hell, I was thinking he could have the 4400's even. That looks like the base SD in that pic

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  17. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

For the life of me I cannot figure out this love affair with Timbrens. I consider them to be a band-aid. Notice I did not say they are a bad product or that they do not do what they say they do.

Just upgrade the dang springs. I use a company called ATS. They have fantastic customer service. My plow truck (Excursion) has ATS springs all around and the weight capacities are between a SRW and dually 1 ton of the same model year as my truck.

The truck rides better than it did new, and I was there when it was bought new. I get hardly any squat from my plow, and hardly any when I tow my skidsteer around.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never understood it either. If you need them you're putting too much weight on the truck to begin with. All timbrens are are bigger bump stops to keep your suspension from flexing, they do zero for weight capacity. Op, it sounds like you need a spring upgrade on your truck

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nobody has mentioned if you DON'T have the plow prep you WILL need a few more things like a new fan/clutch assembly as well, if not your going to go down the road sounding like a MACK garbage truck and will overheat. Don't know if your alternator is big enough as well. It's doable, we did it to our 05 F350...we replaced the front springs with 9k lb rated, the right fan assembly and it being a diesel it already had the heavy duty alt. Total cost was around maybe 6-700 bucks parts and labor. (the fan on a diesel is a b!tch!)

20. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

He could do the same thing with air bags. And with bags he could let the air out when he doesn't have the plow on and not have it ride like a logging truck.