1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Caught FIRE!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got a 1999 Ford F250 Diesel with a Sno-Way straight blade. The truck had been parked for 2 or 3 days. We got a good dump of snow early in the morning and I called my guys to come pick up the equipment. I left my acreage with another truck and when the guy got there to pick up the Ford, about 45 minutes later, he called me to say that the bumper was on fire. The truck WAS NOT running, the keys were not even in it. The red/black power cables coming off the battery and going to the bumper where they connect with the same coming off the power pack, was shorting out at that connection. The added moisture from the snow cause it to start on fire. Luckily, he came by when he did as the truck was backed up against my garage. Damage was minor but could have been alot worse.

2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Who did the install, you or a dealer?

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Dealer installed it about 5 years ago.

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

You have to keep a close eye on those heavy power cables. I wrap mine up with some protective covering wherever they are likely to touch something like the bumper or anything metal or sharp.

5. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Fuses, Cutoff switches and wire insulation are always going to be a good thing on any plow truck.