1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Cart / Dollie

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Robbie Rooster, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

Has anyone ever made their own dollie out of wood? I'm just curious. Trying to save money, I have tons of wood I can use verses going out and buying steel to weld one up. I see wood dollies in the norther book that hold 1000lbs. Do you think this can be done? If any one has made one, what were the specs, or things I should or should not do.

2. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

My dad and I have made a few...I can get you some pics tonight if you would like. Our latest 2 were one for an 8' 6" MVP and one for an 8 ft pro plus a couple 2x4's some bolts and a couple of caster wheels...Worked out nice they roll good, easy to move around...I think the whole project set us back about $90...give or take....Basically just take 2 2x4's cut them down to the blade width of a tad longer so you dont have to center the plow on it exactly, measure the distance from the cutting edge to the stand (unimount) or stands (ultramount) cut 2 pieces a little longer then that, bolt them to the two in the front, the width of the plow frame of course, put some supports across it, and two pieces for the stand to sit on put your casters in the heavy weight areas and you are all done....Pics will say it better than I can LOL! let me know

3. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

Thanks M&M. If you could post some pics that would be great. I've got an idea of what I plan on making, but it always helps to see.:D

4. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

Yes I would also be interested to see the pics.

5. M&M Services

from midwest

Not a problem when I get home I will take some pics and post them!

6. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

It's been a while since I have been on the site, but it you would like pictures of the one I built for my 8' fisher. I can try to get a picture up later today.

7. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I bought some moving dollies from Harbor Freight and had to modify the ones that would be under the plow legs. Works well and makes it so much easier to move the plow around inside my garage.

8. M&M Services

from midwest

here are some pics, sorry about the quality, but I couldnt move the race car out, so I couldnt move the plows...but you can see the idea..works out well if you need any help, just let me know...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. M&M Services

from midwest

and one last one
    [​IMG]

10. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

Nice, but now can you just drive up to the plow while it's on the dolly and hook it up, or do you need to take it off the dolly and then drive the truck up?

11. M&M Services

from midwest

It takes some time, we block the carts in the front with a 2x4, drive up slowly...we have only ran into a problem a few times...it works..but it is kind of difficult....

12. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I'll have to look into building something like that for the offseason.

13. mark e

mark e Junior Member

Another idea the works well, is using a bread dolly. The dolly's that hold the plastic racks of bread. You can add a piece of wood to it to get the correct height. You can then just roll the plow right to the mounts. Works great. Just go to your local grocery store, head to the back room and ask if you can have one, they keep them outside the back door.

14. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

M&M, Cool, thanks for the pics. Just about exactly what I was thinking. As far as hooking up the plow, you should be able to just push the dollie right up to the truck to mount the plow. If you need to raise up the plow to mount it, then you use a bottle jack, just like on the plow dollies you can buy. It seems pretty simple. I will be building one this weekend.

15. M&M Services

from midwest

robbie that is exactly how we hook them up...we tryed it the other way the first time because my Ultra Mount wasn't set up height wise for my truck...so we had to play around with it...after that it was be set to height on the dolly when you unhook just adjust the stand and you are good to go....they work excellent....Easy to make glad it helped out...let me know how it turns out....:drinkup:

16. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

moving dollies

if u don't feel like buliding anything, you can go to the home depot and buy moving dollies. i boulght 3 of them rated for 1,000 lbs a dolly. one of them i covered with 3/4 in plywood for the stand. they work well and roll nicely and i only spent about $55. i have a 8' MM2 X-Blade