1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow carriage for Jeep YJ

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redlion, Dec 3, 2003.

1. redlion

redlion Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    Bought a used Meyer for my 90 Jeep YJ, but it is missing the lower carriage to hook the a-frame too.
    Anyone have a pic so that I can Fab one up?
    Not sure which model plow, I think E-47???
    the a-frame has approx. 1 1/4 square attachmet bars to put the pin's through. Hope this helps !
    Thanks
    Redlion
    redlion@ismi.net

2. redlion

redlion Junior Member

Somebody out there has to have a Meyer plow on there 88-95 Jeep Wrangler !!!
    Still wanting a pic so I can fabricate the frame mount for this thing... snow is just around the corner !

3. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Sounds like a standard Meyers setup. I've got one on my old wagoneer, but the plow is on it so I can't take a pic for you. I'll hunt around and see if I still have one of my Meyer manuals and I'll scan the info for you. Mount size is different but the parts still work the same.

4. redlion

redlion Junior Member

Thanks Slowpoke , a diagram of it would help alot!
    Redlion

5. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Redlion - I just now found this site and stumbled across your post. I had the same problem: I replaced a nightmare '67 CJ with a '93 YJ last March. I figured it'd be no sweat to swap over the old 6' Myers plow rig to the YJ. Wrong. The YJ frame is wider. The old rig was homemade anyway, so I had to start from scratch. The problem was - even if I WANTED to buy the right carriage to bolt on to the YJ, I couldn't. The old Myers has an 18" spread on the A frame, instead of the newer 24". I looked all around for someone to fabricate/weld something up for me. They all said the same thing: you're better off buying something. I couldn't make them understand that I COULDN'T buy the right rig. Finally, a buddy with a welder and I tackled it ourselves.......tried it out for the first time last week with 12" of snow. Works great.

So, how have you made out? If you still are at a loss, maybe I can get some photos of the carriage.:drinkup:

6. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

here is a home made one from my buddy's jeep

dcp_0002_1.jpg

7. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Where are the jeep springs? Coil? Mine has leaf springs so I could not do it that simply. I dropped down just like your photo, but then had to angle in between the frame and the leafs, then drop down again.

8. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I forgot it was a western plow w/meyers pump but you can weld in the pieces an the push bar for a meyers plow. heres a pic on the jeep.....yes it is a 7.5 foot plow too!!

dcp_0007.jpg

9. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

kstt gladd you were thinking LOL. yeah the spring hangers do take up alot of space at the front of the frame. could he space the bracket out and use a similar idea??

10. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Spaced out which direction? I faced many a dilema with this. If I spaced it outside the frame and then dropped below the leafs, then I was too close to the ground. I didn 't want to do that because it would clog up snow too easy. I couldn't mount inside the frame/leafs because the steering box is mounted there on the drivers' side. I didn't want to go forward - ahead of the bumper, because I felt that would put the plow weight too far out front. That's why I finally had to mount on the outside of the frame (like your picture), then angle inside, above the leafs. Tricky, because the springs need room to flex.

11. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Jeepboy, how big is your lift and is that enough or do you have airbags or timberns or whatever they are called installed? Also those light that you have on your windshiled frame, do you use them when plowing?, if so are they helpfull? I got a used plow without the lights, so I was thinking instead of spening $300 on that I can just get those lights. And one more thing do you have anything in the back to even the load?

Nice pic bytheway.

12. seawood

seawood Junior Member

sound like you need a mount like was no the cj had one at one time the front was huge from the springs then the back was on the frame outside went throw the springs to the inside it was a western

13. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

kstt I thought you could bring the upright's down the outside of the frame to a reasonable height for your pushbar,and then bring your angled support for the pushbar back to the frame behind the dip in the frame rail where the steering box is??usually there is a hole in that dip in the frame where most box skid plates bolt right through. Leaf springs are making this project diff. for you! boutallnight this pic is of a friends jeep but he has a3 inch body-2 inch spacer,with air bags inside the coils.

14. redlion

redlion Junior Member

OK, ended up fabricating one using 1/2 in. plate, bolting to the outside, under the frame and back down. Using 3/8s angle to box around frame, the cross hookup to connect the a-frame was the easy part. Running around the frame and gearbox was a pain!
    I'll try to get a pic posted .
    I may need more rear bracing though! Have not tested yet.