1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow buying help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bubba377, Jan 30, 2011.

?

what should I buy

Poll closed Feb 9, 2011.
  1. western

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. fisher

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

I am looking at buying a plow for my 2005 GMC 2500 hd.I found two used ones in my area a unimount western 7.5 and a fisher minute mount also 7.5, both reconditioned from a local dealer .Planing on doing mostly family and friends driveway but maybe pick up some side work for some extra $$.which one would be the better buy .After some research I believe they are a close match in design and quality .Am I wrong on this assumtion thank you for any help !!

2. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I am going to post the comment that is almost always the first to come up... what dealer is closer? fisher or western? If they are of equal distance, is one better than the other? Don't feel bad about going in and asking random questions, that is how you are going to know if they are there to help you or screw you. My local dealer is a fisher and western dealer, however i bought a western because a) it was a good price for a complete unit used and b) I have just heard better things about western than fisher from people who i know that plow. Everyone has their own preferance though. Hope this helps!

3. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

wow this is a dissapointing post so I will stay silent...oops

4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Fisher and Western are both good plows, throw Boss in and Blizzard and you can't go to wrong. We run Fisher for 3 years now without any issues but we also didn't plow much the last 2 winters! And have a great dealer very close!

5. SJ Plowers

SJ Plowers Junior Member

I have a Western and my partner has a Fisher. We bought the plows at the same time. He had to replace his power angle rams at 3 years old. due to pitting. we plow the same areas as that we have commercial accounts that are large lots that we do together. I have had not a single problem with my western. and I have had then all starting with the cable operated ones back in the early 80's. So good luck with whatever you pick. .

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

fyi blizzard/western/fisher = douglas dynamics parent company.

basicly in the fisher / western ? pick a color you like in the v blades.

and stright blades fisher has trip edge and tend to be a little more h.d.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should go with the Fisher becouse it has the trip edge. You should also go with a 8' instead of the 7.5'. Boss also makes a trip edge plow that is better than the Fisher HD IMO.