1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow buying advice needed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by afd0089, Dec 18, 2007.

1. afd0089

afd0089 Junior Member
    from maine

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to the business. Me and my brother are in the process of starting up a small part time snow removal and yard care business. My question is this.... I have 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Vortec Max, Crew Cab. This vehicle has the 4.10 rear end, heavy duty trani, heavy duty suspension, and the 6.0 HO motor. I would like to put a new 7 1/2 ft. fisher stainless steel xblade on it. However the fisher guy in my area made me worry a bit. He said I should put the regular duty 7 1/2 ft. fisher on my truck, because of weight. The regular duty weights in at 640 lbs and the xblade at 740 lbs. He said he can, and would install the xblade if I wanted it, but said I should do the regular duty instead. Is 100 lbs really that big of a deal, especially were it is the Vortec Max package? If I get the xblade, will my truck be able to handle it? Thank you in advance for any help.

2. HKusp

HKusp Member

Well, it's not so much the added weight by itself. You are talking about force X lever arm. The 100lbs gets multiplied by the length of the mount and is much more then 100lbs as far as the front suspension is concerned. It's not that the 6.0 motor isn't capable of pushing the extra weight, thats negligible. It's the extra force to the front end suspension that the guy is rightfully(in my humble opinion) worried about.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I would not put an x blade on a 1500! Thats a bit to much plow for that suspension. You might consider putting timbrens on the truck reguardless of what plow you get.