1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow brand choice...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by joaker, Dec 26, 2009.

1. joaker

joaker Junior Member

I am not completely new to the plowing game, but this will be the first big purchase of my own to do snow removal. I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Quad cab, and my hope was to run a V-Plow on it, but one of my co-workers from when I did snow before has advised to me that it would not be worth the extra cost, and that it will not do a very good job... but my thoughts are kind of the opposite... how can it not be superior? I am down to a few brands, and this is where I am getting really confused, I am interested in either the Western, the Meyer, the Sno-Way, or the Fisher... I have only been able to get a price on the Western and the Sno-way as of today, and there is over $2000 difference between the Sno-way and the Western, and I expect that the Meyer will likely be similarly priced to the Western, and the Fisher I was told is only about $600 less than the Western... Is the Sno-way really that great that it justifies a $2000 premium over all other "good" plows? I really like the look of it and the features seem to be really decent as well... plus the financing is better on it too... I am really baffled now.... all plows will be quoted as the 8'6" variety... I would truly appreciate some constructive arguments regarding the pros and cons of these units... as of now the Sno-way is at the top of the list, but I would really like to hear from as many experienced pro's as I can before I drop several thousand dollars on an investment like this. Thank you in advance for any and all help available!!

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

1 big question to ask yourself is: Who will give me the best service and have parts available when the sh*t hits the fan? If you've gotta wait 2 weeks for a part, that's a problem. This is especially important if you're a 1 man show, although I strongly encourage you to make a few contacts in case you do break down. It's a guarantee that at some point you're going to need a back up.

With regards to specific plows I can't be of much help. I currently own a Blizzard 810. Previously I only ran Leo plows, which are locally made and are tough as nails. I did own 1 Western when I first started out, but I can't say it was a good or a bad plow. Overall, I think my Blizzard is incredible when it comes to efficiency, but a major PIA when it comes to maintenance and parts.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The "search" button is your friend.

5. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

My opinion is naturally a western since that is all we use. BOSS plows are excellent also. Many have either and love them. Check to make sure who is a close dealer and can repair things fast !!!!!!!

6. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I like both the boss and western plows. The thing I noticed about V plows are when your in scoop mode it isnt that easy to try to lift the snow to stake it. Thats about it. I feel the V's are extremely worth it, especially when you have sites where you cant windrow the snow one way start to push them towards the middle and scoop the last few, or at places where cars are parked you can scoop around the cars so you arent leaving massive piles for them to plow through when trying to drive.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Vee is hard to beat. Of the brands you listed, Sno-Way would be my first choice. Down pressure is a fantastic feature. Boss also makes an excellent Vee plow. The others would be lower on my list.

8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I have the Boss V and it's awesome. I'd buy it again. If for some reason I had to get something else, it would probably be a snoway.