1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow brand advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Reluctantpusher, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Reluctantpusher

Reluctantpusher Junior Member

Fairly new to the plowing scene. I've been subbing for Brickman since 2009 and I think I'm finally ready to move from a skid steer with a plow to a couple of trucks and go after my own work. What I'm looking for is some good advice on what brand of plow I should go with. I'd like to get something to where I can get several years out of a plow and I plan to have one more truck with a mount than I have blades so that I can have a spare rig ready to go in the event of a breakdown. I want an attachment system that will work for 3/4 and 1 ton GM trucks and also for a 4700 International. There is a Boss dealer close to me and their stuff seems pretty solid but I really need some advice from some of you fellows that have run different brands and really know what works and what doesn't.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Drive back to Boss and tell yes, I'll take one.
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

4700 is going to be a heavy weight plow, not the same as one on your pickup
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Western and Fisher make nice heavywieght plows
  5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You will get many different opinions and arguments on which plow is best. They are all great until they quit. You can get many years of use from them all, unless you beat the hell out of them, then it doesn't matter what you get. Go and talk to the dealers in your area. Talk to guys in your area, to see what kind of service they get from the dealers, that's where a lot of the decision will be made.
    As far as the mounts, you can get the mounts to fit a 3/4 and one ton, to use the same plow on both trucks. You can also fit the same plow on the 4700, BUT BUT, a plow that will work BEST on the smaller trucks, will be to small and light for the 4700. Vise versa, a plow that will be best for the 4700 will be to big and heavy for a smaller truck.
    A good plow for a 3/4 or 1 ton is an 8 or 9 foot plow, the 4700 would need a 10 or 11 foot blade. You could fit a 9, but you will be running in the snow with your tires.
  6. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Yep.....that's a troll....:eek:
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Best answer.

Charles, can close this out now.
  8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

This. Dealer support is most important not color.
  9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

City Guy x2 Find the best dealer for parts and service and you'll love whichever brand he sells you.
  10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Fixed it for you.................:drinkup:
  11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

These two fellas are correct......Talk to the dealers near you....Boss,Western,Fisher and so on are all good plows...:drinkup:
  12. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

...now, it's fixed...

(find out who sells the most in your area, make sure they are open during storms, and hand them a credit card)