1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow, box plow or snow bucket??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stackmaster, Sep 15, 2009.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I've been plowing with a conventional truck mounted plow for years. This year it looks like we may need a skid steer and was wondering what you guys think would work best for commercial lots and condos. I've noticed in most of the vids on here and you tube, that when guys are using box plows, they are just pushing to a designated area to pile the snow. They don't have curbs everywhere that they need to go over. I'm guessing I should just go with a snow bucket????? lots will need to be scraped clean and the snow piled or trucked off site. Any help is appreciated.

2. stackmaster

By the way, I tried searching previous threads but they seem to get off topic and I was having trouble finding my info on this question.

Also, thanks to JonnyRoyale for the heads up on my previous post. I must apologize, I guess my forum etiquette is a little rusty. Thanks again.

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

For commercial lots of any size, I would go with a push box. If you are going to do condo drives or have any loading docks, definitely add the pull back feature to the push box. An 8' snow bucket has worked well for us on small properties with a lot of curbs, etc.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Get something like the Horst Welding pushers, they are build with snow wings & can angle for windrowing.

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I was in you're position last year. I went with the biggest snow bucket my machine could handle. My reasoning was this, I've already got a blade on my truck, a box plow is good but doesn't work well to stack or load. This year I had an old Boss V-plow that I've converted to run off my skid steer.

6. stackmaster

Yeah, I guess with the plow on the truck anyway, I could just use as big a snow bucket as my machine will handle. Although it looks like I will be doing a lot of back dragging of driveways with the amount of condos we are signing. How well do you think the standard or snow bucket will work for back dragging???

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The snow bucket works great for backdragging as you can put down pressure on it.

8. nwinbranson

nwinbranson Junior Member

a 47 hp. tractor 6 foot rear blade with bolt on sides bolt on skid shoes woods has these options a virnig 6.5 ft snow bucket with a bolt on edge works great in condos

9. nwinbranson

nwinbranson Junior Member

used this setup for 5 years works great