1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Blades.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ConnorExum, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Are the plow blades for a 7.5' western pro plow cheap or expensive to purchase new? if they are very costly is their a simply way to resharpen one that is effective? For example do they make a blade sharping tool?

Thanks

Connor

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

How do you know the one you have needs to be sharpened?

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

just use a file and resharpen yours. a new one is $175.:dizzy:

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I pick up mine for 80.00 through angelo's

5. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

The edge is completely rounded over and it has numerous dings and dents in the edge. Plus, this is a used plow of at least 8 years old and I believe it to be original. So I'm guessing that all those factors together would hinder its ability to scrap ice.

6. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Grinder.. Mark a straight line across it and grind on down to that line... Thats what I would do..

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I thought they had a tool perhaps, and if the edges were cheap why not get a factory one. But I guess I'll do some doctoring work on it. Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to destroy the poor plow it is my pop's plow and truck. I'm going to purchase an Oshkosh soon and retire this thing. Sure some say Oshkosh on a driveway is insane, I say it is so brilliant they are scared of it! I'll just scare the snow off the road.

9. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I don't think hand filing it will get anywhere near sharp again. This edge is really round and ding/dented it has certainly hit a few hard objects in its past. I just wanted to see if they made special tools or something that might help.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Remember to maintain attack angle if you do sharpen it. for example if the blades attack angle is 72 degrees then you want to set the edge to (they come 90degrees) 28 degrees to stop chattering and get complete contact.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, for a 72 degree attack angle, the proper cutting edge angle is 18 degrees. But you get the idea.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:dizzy: .................

13. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Am I missing something here?I have never needed to sharpen/repair the cutting edge,I rarely plow dirt roads but my edge stays at 18* since the 90* on the edge when new got seated in.Iv never seen a used blade with a rounded edge can you post pictures and do you plow mostly dirt roads?

14. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

The previous owner of this plow had hit a lot of obstacles or used it in a very careless manner because this plow has a lot wear on the blades.

15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yup!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thanks for correcting my early morning math:salute:

17. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You could shoot a strait line with a lazar and just follow along with a file until the correct angle is obtained,use a corse file so it wont take too long.

18. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A laser? That's pretty high tech for a cutting edge. I just use a chalk line. Orange if the paint is still good, blue if it's rusty.

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

And a hand file. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: