1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow blades for skid steers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MJ Landscaping, Nov 17, 2002.

1. MJ Landscaping

MJ Landscaping Junior Member

whats a good plow blade for a skid steer?
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think the blizard would be good.JD plower is putting one on his bobcate
  3. Santa

Santa Junior Member

We have good luck with the snow wolf ultra series.
  4. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

id go wit the blizzard
  5. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

this past summer at the Conag show in Las Vegas, I spoke with the John Deere folks about their skid steer situation and were they going to enter the plow market and their answer was yes.

They are marketing a plow for skid steers that they are having built for them. It looked rugged at the show, but this would be a first year obviously.

They further informed me that they were moving the production of skid steeres from one plant to another to improve the quality of their own machines.

For those of you who are interested in plowing with these machines, John Deere would be a good option for you.

I've just bought a new Massey Fergusen 1440 tractor and will be installing a new Curtis plow rig on it. They are working on finishing the adaptor for MF's "Quick Hitch" and when completed, I will have one and report on its performance.

Obiviously I'll be installing a MPT urethane edge on the plow.....

vince panaroni
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I wouldnt trust those MPT edges as far I can could sell them. Oh yeah, I sell them all over, maybe they arent that bad after all. LOL
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

I'm a pretty big Deere fan myself but I checked their snowblade out this week and it's not very heavy duty in my opinion. The moldboard is pretty thin and they don't have alot of support behind the moldboard as far as bracing. Their 9 footer is about $2100 and there are much better ones out there for that money.

Snow Wolf Ultra series definately is a nice unit. Trip edge, 6" side to side oscillation, powder coated unit. Very nice.

I ended up getting a unit from a fabrication shop in our area that has been testing their own unit for two years. I got it through my JD dealer. It's nicer than the JD blade by far, but not quite like the Wolf though. Of course it's $800 less than the wolf and I just hope it holds up. It seems well constructed and has some neat little features the others don't. We'll find out this winter!!!
  8. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I saw this great little multiposition V-Plow for a Bobcat at the open house in Connecticut a few weeks ago. Looked like a great plow for sidewalk work.

9. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Just wondering what the extra features were that your setup has?:waving:
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

The carriage area has step plates that have a type of stamped out steel that is for traction purposes so you don't slip stepping in and out of the skidsteer,(all the way across the top of the cradle) the unit also is set up so that if you blow a line while plowing there are holes that can be pinned in about 6 or 8 positions as a temporary fix so you can still plow (so as not to have the blade flopping left to right), and the moldboard is stainless. :nod:
  11. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:drinkup: i think i see cling ons around uranus. :p just get the blade from CAT already.
  12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We just mounted one of our old 9'plows with wings on it making it a 11' plow on our new 270 John Deere skidsteer. Of course we also mounted a MPT Artic Groomer cutting edge, the only way to go in my opinion.

Will try and get a pic tomorrow
  13. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I made a sst plow attachment of my tractor. I have about $300 invested in this unit.

A. 1, Blank skid steer mounting plate.
    B. 1, used snow plow blade
    C. 7' 3" angle iron
    D. 1, weld on chain hook
    E. 4 hours of time

Also mounted on this plate is a reciever hitch for trailer relocations.
  14. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

forgot one ingredient
    2 flat face hyd. couplers for blade angling
  15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, did you get your machine at Nortrax? I couldn't get the salesman to return my call.

Did you decide against the 277?
  16. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Good plow for a skid steer

The Blizzard 810ss model plow is the best plow I have operated on a skid steer. i have operated (2) two, one was a Bobcat T-200, and the other was a Bobcat T-300 both were fitted with Blizzard 810ss's and utilized the Bobcat control sticks to operate the plow.

How sweet of an operation.

So Buy a Blizzard.:D
  17. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Yes I did

Honestly I didn't know they made a 277. I just told the salesman I needed a skidsteer with a broom. He sent over a 270 with a FFC 7' rotary broom. Real nice machine

I will have the salesman Dan call you on Monday if you'd like?
  18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Too late, Mike, I bought a Cat 248. I stopped down at Nortrax 3 times, each time the salesman was out and never returned my call. I figured if this was how the sales department was going to treat me, I wasn't even going to think about how the Service Department was going to handle things.

I stopped at Penn, the salesman(Jeff) brought a demo out to my job, and took me to lunch later that week. After lunch he took me on a tour of the facility and introduced me to both the Service Manager and Parts Manager. I ordered my 248 there and then.

That was 2 years ago, I haven't regretted it for a minute. I never did hear from Nortrax.

By the way, the 277 is Cat's larger tracked skid steer, I thought you had demoed one last season.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I just demoed a 246 cat, two speed, cab, lo-pro tires. WHAT a sweet ride, especially compared to my old new holland. 3.9% for 60 months with no money down.

I might just make that my main plow vehicle as my accounts are at most 2 miles apart. With a 12+mph travel speed it was real nice.

Back to topic... besides snow wolf, blizzard and the bobcat v plow, what are the other plows out there????

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Boss used to make a S/S model, I don't know if they still do. Look in the back of any landscape trade magazine, there must be 100 manufacturers of snowplows for these things. Warren is one that comes to mind, FFC too.

I wasn't aware that Cat had added the 2 speed tranny, that's a nice feature. Mine doesn't have it. I've considered setting mine up as backup, my accounts are all within 5 miles diameter of my home.