1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mountain, Jan 20, 2000.

1. mountain

mountain PlowSite.com Veteran

hi<br> I can't get the plow bade any closer then about 1&quot; from road surface. I tried everything I could think of more weight in the back, more air in front shocks. Is there anything else I could try? How about taking the plow shoes off? would that damage the plow?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

First take the shoes off. If that doesn't solve the problem, look at your lift cylinder. Is it fully retracted when the plow is 1'' of the ground? If it you chain is out of adjustment. If there is still some of the cylinder showing, it just the shoes. <p><br>What brand of plow is it?<br>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

See this is what I mean, even a simple ? can be answered with dignity. Welcome to the forum Mountain. plowing with the shoes off wont hurt the plow, it will accelerate the cutting edge wear, but that is the only way to plow clear to the pavement. If it is a new plow, the dealer may just have left the shoes adjusted way to high. there should be a stack of washers that by moving them btween the top and the bottom of the plow anchor for the shoe , will help you adjust the cutting edge height. <br>For the most part if you are on asphalt you wont need them, if you do alot of gravel drives, it may help to leave them on, and an inch above the ground would be a good height.<br>Dino <br><p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. mountain

mountain PlowSite.com Veteran

hey thanks<p>I ended up taking the shoes off for pavement the putting them back on for gravel , the only thing I can guess is that the plow is mounted to low on the truck.<br> it's a meyers plow. we have the same plow on a '96 dodge without this problem , but just got a ford 150 and well you heard the rest<p> thanks again

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If taking the shoes off didn't solve the problem try putting more slack in your chain. Make sure when the plow is down 2&quot; of the lift cylinder is still exposed.<p>Geoff

6. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, just remember, Keep suffient amout of slack to compensate for different grades in areas you normally would plow. But on the other hand, don`t make the chain too slack to the point where there is not enough clearance, plow to pavement, when traveling. Or else you`ll be plowing your city streets without you knowing, for free! :eek:

7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

also, my meyer had three different holes to attach the blade to. moving to the top will change the angle of the blade.

8. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

you guys are answering a question from 5 years ago-that guy has already bought and sold a couple of plows by now......... :confused:

9. lumps

lumps Senior Member

oops... i didn't notice the date, just saw that it was at the top of the forum, figured it was new... mah bad

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats funny..

11. danno

danno Senior Member

HOLY SH :eek: T!

12. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

This is great :D

13. danno

danno Senior Member

Even had PLOWKING35 tricked!