1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Blade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Fresh350, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys,

I am somewhat new to plowing, I have always used an Ariens snow-blower, but needed to get a plow after last winter's epic snow accumulations! I apologize ahead of time if this seems like a common or "rookie" question.

I purchased a used (04) Fisher MM2 plow, the guy I got from used it to plow the parking lot at his diner and his home driveway, both very small. My question is directed towards whether or not I need a new blade for this plow. I used it in one storm so far and it seemed to really pancake the snow to the pavement which I know my clients will not be happy with if it continues to happen. Is there a way to check if the blade needs to be replaced or sharpened (not sure if that's even possible) or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First its called a cutting edge,the thing you replace when worn. If its even with the trip edge then replace it.

3. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Are there any diagrams that point out the cutting edge and trip edge to help me determine this, as I said I am new to plowing just looking for a little guidance. Thanks

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Here is a pix without the cutting edge on it. With a cutting edge it should be about 6 inches in height.

[​IMG]

5. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks, that definitely helps. I looked over some other threads and determined that I actually I only have the trip-edge and that is what is worn down, so I definitely need to get the cutting edge. I did not realize that Fisher's came will a larger trip edge and no cutting edge.

Any experience installing a cutting edge? I saw that it bolts on, I know of a place near my location that carries the cutting edges figured I could purchase it there and install it myself to save a few bucks.

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Cutting edges are easy. Block up the a frame with timbers or frame stands and then get a buddy to help you mount it. Few nuts and bolts later you will be good to go

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If they don't have Fisher wear edges you can use a Meyer edge, they share bolt patterns.:D