1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow blade material

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TheEquineFencer, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

What are snow plow blades made out of? What type of steel, hardness ect. I'm going to look into having some built. I have a Western 7-1/2 foot blade that I had to replace the lower edge and also the angle iron it mounted to. I installed a thicker blade than what came off it and may have access to a source of reasonably priced steel. Turns out the husband of the lady that owns a store I plowed this past week is a salesman for a steel company. I also have a place local, that if I can get the steel at the right price, then I'm going to see what I can get the holes punch in it for to see if it's cost effective. I'm thinking AR plate would work and might hold up to the abuse but I'm not sure. I need to find out the metalurology of what the OEM is and then see what the steel experts think.:mechanic::mechanic:

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Are you talking about the skin of the plow or the cutting edge? I am sure the skin of the plow is just
    A36 steel. The cutting edge is something different, I make my own and just buy "wear edge steel". Thats what the steel place I get my stock from calls it, seems to last just as long as the stock western one.

3. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Blade material

Yes, the cutting edge. What is the blade really made out of? I'm wondering if AR plate is harder and will last longer. I'll ask about Wear Edge and see if they understand that. I've seen some of the larger blades that you can get with a Carbide insert made into them.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am sure the carbide would last longer but it is probably very spendy. You could also check for a product called hardox, I used to build buckets for heavy equipment right out of welding school, that is what they used for all of their high wearing surfaces.

5. banonea

banonea PlowSite Veteran

the place that I got my last cutting edges sold me 5/8 High Carbon Steel with a edge on it. I drilled the holes for mounting with a titanimun drill bit and drill press.

6. Blacksmith Cycl

Blacksmith Cycl Junior Member

Forget carbide. It would cost you thousands and while carbide is extremely hard and wear resistant you wouldn't make it 2 feet before the blade chipped and/or shattered. It is extremely brittle when compared to mild steel.

I made that above statement based on my use of carbide in my machine shop. One little oops while moving a carbide tool bit and it chips. You may be able to get a different grade of carbide for a plow blade, but I still think that it would be sketchy considering that a wear bar, by design, is made to dig in and not just slide like a carbide wear bar on a snow mobile ski.

7. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

I don't now about thousands. I did some checking and found a state that did testing on plow plades with carbide inserts that come made into the lower cutting egde. Basicly they said they lasted longer and held up better than the ones without them but that manhole covers were hard on them at speed. I'd just like to know what grade of steel and hardness the OEM are, then try some better quality steel and see if it's cost effective.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. MGM11085

MGM11085 Junior Member

Hardox Plow Blades

I was looking to see if anyone used hardox blades on here. Alot of the guys in the area have bought them and are changing the whole fleet to them. Alot of the excavating and dirt guys I work with replace their dozer blades and excavator buckets with it. so I found a place that sells them and they cut a few. I decided to give them a shot. They said that the Hardox material is used in the coal mine equiment, dump truck beds, and excavating equipment. They cut them to whatever size you want with the plow bolt holes. One guy says he gets 4-6x the use on these. I cant speak on them yet I havent run thru a hardox blade yet. I will report back when i do. Only had a few storms in Western PA this year. If anybody has expirence on these let me know.

9. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Get a few inch square piece of a worn out cutting edge that has done fairly well (i.e. one you want to duplicate).

Send it to a local metallurgical lab, and ask them to do chemistry and hardness. For about $50 you will know exactly what the material is and what kind of heat treat, if any, they used.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

we have a local shop that punches out what you need, makes edges for a lot of local municipalities, shoes for pusher makers, edges for loaders and dozers....all high grade and about 70% of oem cost....i would look and ask around in your area