1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow blade jumps two in the air!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Super Mech, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

I have a older Fisher 8' HD plow on a 90 F250HD. Bloth the plow and truck are in mint condition. I have had this setup for over 5 years now and have completely reconditoned the plow(sandblated,painted and powdercoated as needed,all new pins and trip springs)about 2 years ago. Also changed over to electric/hyd pump at that time. I've plowed many lots and drives with this setup with no problems. This year I started plowing roads for the city. I'm having major problems when hitting raised(meaning 3/8" or less) manholes. The plow hits so hard and jumps up in the air all the way to the stops! It is extremely violent. I NEVER plow at more than 15mph and mostly between 10 and 15mph. A-frame is parallel to the ground. I'm pretty sure I am going to destroy my plow or truck. Does anyone have any ideas on how to lessen or prevent these violent impacts?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't plow roads. That the trip edge kicking back at you.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Buy a full trip plow? There isn't much you can do... Run shoes? Then you wont be scraping down though

4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i had the same problem buy shoes is all i can say. I broke a few plow lights and actually lost a 160$ cutting edge last storm when it broke off.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Install a rubber edge on top of cutting edge

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Don't all road plows use the shoes anyways? Pretty sure they do around here, they sand/salt afterwards for the clean look...

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Shoes can't hurt. Once they wear down even with cutting edge it should still scrape well. You could also just learn where the problem spots are and slow down when you get to them.

8. m.williams

m.williams Member

I subcontract on private roads and I have the same problem, after the first couple storms I figured out where all the trip ups were, so I just slow down or avoid them all together. Once in a while I still get surprised. Actually hit one so hard it ripped my cutting edge off and broke one of my trip spring bolts.

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It is the nature of plowing roads. I switched from steel edges to a urethane cutting edge and while it doesn't scrape as well it glides over raised covers or just about anything on the road. It lasts twice as long too.
    The scraping issue was offset by the amount of salt the towns use now a days so it wasn't even an issue.
    The other issue you could have is the trip edge mounts are worn causing the whole trip edge to be forward more than it should be making the able of it catch everything on the road, if I explained that right.

10. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Another vote for polyurethane edge. Then you can sell yourself to paver driveways after your done doing those streets!!!! Anyone want good prices for good quality poly...pm me

11. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow roads . You need to remember where all the trip spots are and lift the plow a inch or so then drop. The cars will blend the snow in. Nothing like it when you see all yellow in the windshild. It will be sure to wake you right up.

12. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

The only way i have found is just remember where those spots are.. we run fisher's and have the same prob on our roads... man that is a wicked impact.