1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow blade coating question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hebron, Oct 14, 2003.

1. hebron

hebron Junior Member

I am mainly a mowing man, so this is not a "professional" question.

I plow my own 250 foot gravel drive with a back blade on my tractor. Believe or not, my diesel tractor starts in mid winter as well as any car or truck around.

Anyway, my back blade has seen a lot of service and I have tried painting the mold board with the graphite coating used for grain bins and such, but it does not last.

Anyone have any ideas what I can use to coat the mold board to help keep the snow from sticking so bad? The steel is rusty but is extremely heavy duty and no where near worn out.

Thanks a bunch!

Hebron. Hebron Illinois

2. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Although I haven't tried it yet, I have heard of guys using Rhino Liner (The smooth type) on their blades. It sounds like a good idea. Any feedback?

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

While you may have to trim it to fit,probably a glue on poly facing would be the best solution for that backplow.You can buy them to fit most truck plows,so hopefully you can find one close in size and cut it to fit.

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have a spray in liner in my truck and if the snow does not stick to it, I'd say that would be a great solution that Micah offered up. That stuff is really tough. It may look a bit different, but I guarantee it would outlast paint by a
    L-O-N-G-S-H-O-T.

I really like that idea. If it works, the plow manufacturers may start offering that as an option??? I think it would probably keep the mild steel plows looking nice considerably longer than traditional paint and powdercoat finishes.

If anyone has ever tried this, or knows someone who has, speak up. I have a couple of plows that may get painted, eventually, and that seems like it could be an option if the material is available at a reasonable cost.

Another benefit is that touch-ups would be a breeze. Essentially, you would have a plastic encapsulated plow. That seems worth looking into.

Another option you may look into is the plastic "skins" they sell to cover the front of your plow . They are available in yellow and red and may be available in other colors, as well.

Either option seems like it would be worth looking into, but the spray in liner idea sounds like it may have some real potential, especially with the way these blades rust because they are subject to being scratched and being exposed to salt and water.

By the way, Hebron, if it works out, you owe me some Crandall's Chicken...the best broasted chicken in the entire state. It is so good, they almost had to put it in Wisconsin. :p

Edit:
    As always, someone beat me to the punch on the poly liner. Darn you Wyldman! Oh well, great minds think alike. :D