1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow beacon switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cef2lion, Nov 6, 2006.

1. cef2lion

cef2lion Junior Member

Friend of mine has an 07 2500. I'm installed his plow harness. We want to use the dash mounted beacon switch for his front plow lights. Reading on here says the wire harness is above headliner. There also appears to be a relay in the drivers back B pillar. If I'm going to tap that circuit I assume I need to attach after the relay. Is the relay in the lower part of the B pillar? I have the wire for the plow lights coiled up by the fusebox. I guess I could extend it along the drivers side to the B pillar. Will I need to remove the rear seat to get the pillar off to access the relay?

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

cef2loin do a serch for this subject, there have been many threads about how and where to find that harness. If a search fails to turn anything up for you, I will answer your post later tonight.

Regards Mike

3. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I think we may need a little more info...Cab size, plow make, etc...IIRC, a lot of these plows did away with a headlight switch a long time ago...:confused:

4. cef2lion

cef2lion Junior Member

This is an 07 Extended cab 2500. Plow is Meyer CP8 with EZmount Classic. It is using the saber lights. It does require a switch to activate the lights. We have a switch with the harness to mount on the dash but thought about using the becon switch instead. I know where the harness is located in the headliner. What I need to do is tap that harness much sooner. My guess is where the relay is located. From searching and reading it appears that the relay is low in the B pillar. Wondering if I could pull the harness down to the relay and extend it up the door doorsill to meet the light wire for the plow lights. Just looking for information on how to get at the beacon relay.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If I remember right you need to remove the headliner and also the B pillar trim which is the tricky part. You have to be very carefull or you will break the trim piece's. You may be able to remove just the trim for the b pillar without having to remove the headliner. I know my Boss came with a switch to mount on the dash for the headlights, Meyers doesn't come with one?

Good Luck Mike

6. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

On an ext cab, you should be able to get the brown and black wire ahead of the relay. This will supply power and ground. Then you can extend the wires to run onder the door sill to wherever you have to go. The factory harness can be accessible without going into the roof. IIRC, I accessed mine by peeling the pillare behind the beack door on the drivers side to get at the wires. You can hear the factory relay clicking at that same spot.

7. cef2lion,
    Make sure that the Meyer's switch you are replacing with the factory switch performs the same task. If my memory serves me correctly, the Meyer's switch is more than a single pole switch and actuates more than just the headlights. I'd hate to see you go through all this and not have it work. How many terminals are on the Meyers switch?

8. cef2lion

cef2lion Junior Member

I know what switch you are talking about. I have one that has all those terminals on it. I had that older Meyer harness on my truck. I replaced it with the newer harness that uses those modules. My friends trucks has the same light system. The newer Night Saber system uses a simple lighted toggle switch. All that is needed is a postive feed to a wire attached to the modules out front. That triggers the modules to turn off the truck lights and turn on the plow lights.

I got the submount on last night. I have the harness all in place. I will tackle this light switch next. I think I have enough information to locate that harness in the headliner and draw it back to the relay and take it along the doorsill to attach to my wire.

9. cef2lion

cef2lion Junior Member

Got the plow lights working working off the beacon switch. I found the beacon harness above the headliner as suggested. Harness was long enough to route down the A pillar to the fuse box. I had the plow lights wire there. Spliced the wires together there and now the plow lights work off the factory beacon light switch in the dash. Really quick work once I had all the information. Thanks!

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if this is a good idea. Why not just do it the way Meyer does it? Save the beacon switch and harness for it's intended purpose.